Author Topic: Proper barrel finish for English fowler  (Read 936 times)

Offline Lone Wolf

Proper barrel finish for English fowler
« on: May 18, 2024, 11:46:31 PM »
Is "in the white" the most proper finish for an English fowler, or where other treatments commonly applied?  If white, were they simply draw-filed, or polished to a mirror finish?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Proper barrel finish for English fowler
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2024, 01:21:36 AM »
Hi,
What time period?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Lone Wolf

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2024, 06:09:00 AM »
Mid 18th century, say F&I War period.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 01:17:37 PM »
Hi,
I would simply polish the barrel with up to 320 sand paper then degrease it and coat it with some instant bluing like Super 44.  After it turns dark, rinse the barrel in hot water and then start rubbing it back with a maroon Scotch Bright pad or 0000 steel wool. Rub it back to until it looks like a tarnished polished barrel.  Then just oil it.

dave

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 02:54:20 PM »
Always enjoy reading your posts Dave, and usually end up learning something new.
What would be the most historically correct barrel and lock finish for an English fowler dating to the 1760s - 1770s?  It appears an assembly for a friend is in my future.

Offline Lone Wolf

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 04:16:06 PM »
Thank you smart dog. I have used that finishing method before so glad to hear it.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 04:38:27 PM »
You are welcome Lone Wolf.

Bluenoser, thanks for the kind comment.  As you get into the 1770s, higher end guns start to have browned barrels.  Here is a painting by Ralph Earle showing an English gentleman with his fowler.  It is from the early 1780s I believe.

Note the gun is half stocked and it appears that the lock is also colored rather than left white. It may be browned like the barrel or it could also be color case hardened.  Supposedly, William Bailes, who died in 1766, introduced the idea of leaving case colors as a form of decoration on  British guns.  Also note that it appears the heads of the lock bolts, top jaw screw, and barrel keys were blued. Here is how I interpreted those features on a British officer's fusil from the 1770s.

dave

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2024, 05:29:55 PM »
Thank you Dave.  I should have been more specific.  As a reader might have guessed, the upcoming project is a Kibler fowler, which is an export-grade gun.  Would the same finish apply?  I suspect it might tend to be more utilitarian.  Jim might have a recommended finish on his website, which have yet to check out.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2024, 02:29:55 PM »
Beautiful gun that you built Dave.
Cheers Richard

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2024, 05:07:40 PM »
Thank you Dave.  I should have been more specific.  As a reader might have guessed, the upcoming project is a Kibler fowler, which is an export-grade gun.  Would the same finish apply?  I suspect it might tend to be more utilitarian.  Jim might have a recommended finish on his website, which have yet to check out.

Hi,
Jim's fowler is from mid 18th century and export grade.  A higher value gun from that period would have a standing breech and barrel keys.  The barrel and lock would likely be finished in the white with a fairly bright polish and then over time it would tarnish.  Higher end guns might be temper or charcoal blued.  John George wrote that although rust browning was known early in the century, it was not popular until the last quarter.   My personal opinion is that browning barrels became popular when stub and stub twist barrels started to be used because the browning highlighted the wonderful patterns in the iron.

dave   

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2024, 05:58:56 PM »
What Dave said.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2024, 07:06:44 PM »
Thanks Dave,
That is what I needed to know.  Now to have a chat with the owner.