Author Topic: My first post but not a novice when collecting & restoring muzzleloaders...  (Read 1310 times)

Offline bpd303

I apologize if this is in the wrong subforum, but I didn't see one for introductions.

My introduction to the world of muzzleloading and flintlocks in particular, began in the early '50s at the ripe old age of ten, when my grandfather would take me squirrel hunting with his Ohio Vincent 36 cal flintlock original rifle. Since then I have collected, restored, bought, sold and horse traded countless guns, but always have retained enough to call it a collection.

My latest acquisition is a 50 caliber flintlock, made by Charlie Caywood, in the late '60s. I will start a thread about it when I have more time and experience with the forum. 
Randy aka bpd303        Arkansas Ozarks

Train for tomorrow, as you never know what it will bring to the fight.
I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Welcome to ALR!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Brokennock

Welcome.
I look forward go seeing pictures of and reading about the details of your Caywood gun.

Offline bpd303

Thanks for the welcome. Instead of opening a new thread, I've decided to use this one to see if I can post pictures.
I have known Charlie and Danny Caywood since 1984

As promised here is my C. Caywood SMR (I think it's a Poor Boy style) that I acquired from one of my officers on Thursday 2/29/24 Leap year gun. In my eye it is gorgeous in it's simplicity. I know the history on this rifle so that is a plus. Charlie made it in the late '60s or early '70s. It was donated to one of the Arkansas State Championship Muzzle Shoots at Berryville to be auctioned off. It was owned by a local gentleman that I know and he sold it to Berryville Pawn Shop recently and one of my officers bought it and I traded him out of it.
The owner who sold it to the pawn shop never shot it and it sat in his gun rack all those years.

The bore is 50 caliber with a coned muzzle, barrel length is 37 1/2 inches long with a 1:60 twist rate. The bore cleaned up and it looks new/un-fired perfect. The lock & barrel in letting are some of the best I have ever seen. I pulled the lock and it was spotless just needed oiling to move as smooth as glass. The original flint sparks like an arc welder. The rifle weighs 8 pounds and has a set trigger. I believe the lock is a Siler as it's not stamped C C & R inside like the later locks.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2024, 12:32:06 AM by bpd303 »

Offline Carl Young

Welcome to the list. FYI it is considered "good form" to sign your posts with a pronounceable name (Tom, Bob, etc.), it's not required, but some of us (e.g. me) are "old school" and don't reply as often to anonymous posts.

I'm interested in what kind of restorations you have done (appropriate to this list of course).

I'm in MS and North AL (2 yards to cut! ::)). If you are ever this way send me a private message and maybe we can meet for coffee and lie about guns!

Regards,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline bpd303

Thanks, I'll eventually get all the intricacies of the forum worked out. Seems every forum I am a member of works just a little differently.
Randy

Offline Daryl

I use the same "handle" on every forum I frequent with only a minor addition on one, _S.
Welcome to the forum.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bpd303

I do the same, logon and avatar picture. What I can't find out on here is are live links allowed to other sites?
I've been a member of the "Traditional Muzzle Loading" forum for years and have most of my "stuff" posted there.

I don't know if most of my guns fit into the class of an American Long Rifle. My most recent restoration is an original .58 caliber percussion German Jaeger rifle. I have never built a rifle from scratch or kit.

I did restore 2 Hatfield's a .54 percussion and .45 flintlock, back in 2013 and still have the .45 caliber flintlock. My other guns are like trade guns, Fowler's, Hawken style and reproductions.
I'm also a "hobbyist" Blacksmith for the past 30-40 years and make a lot of parts that are not available for some of the older guns.

Always,
 Randy

Offline bpd303

My final thought on this SMR flintlock. The Arkansas Muzzle Loading Association spring shoot was held last week at Luther Owens Park. I took the rifle on Saturday and met with Charlie Caywood who was resting in his & Zoe's RV.

Charlie looked it over very carefully and said yes it is one of my rifles. He said that back then he did cone a lot of muzzles and used that scroll work on the stock but had never donated one to the club to be auctioned off or put in the raffle. However he did say someone who bought it could have donated it.

Danny Caywood was there and is always one of the RSO's (Range Safety Officers) for as long as I have been attending the matches. When there was a lull on the firing line Danny found my wife and I at one of the vendors sites.

Danny looked the rifle over and said I don't think it is one of Charlies rifles. He pointed out the butt stock with just the heel & toe plates and said it looks like one of either Mike Brooks or Jackie Browns rifles.
Now over the years I have seen a lot of both of their works and can say they are excellent master gun makers and I would be proud to own one from either or both. However I have never seen one that looks like mine. Most I have seen had full butt plates, patch boxes and a lot of very nice scroll work.

Maybe other forum members will chime in about who they think made this flintlock. Unless proven other wise I'm staying with it's one of Charlies, as he should know if he built it or not.

Randy aka bpd303