Author Topic: Storage Horn With Two Lips  (Read 1190 times)

Offline JSMOSBY

• Starting Member
Storage Horn With Two Lips
« on: May 21, 2024, 04:35:07 AM »
I purchased this horn in Greeley, Colorado this past weekend.  The condition, aesthetics and two lips at the base just said take me home and I did. I have seldom seen any horns with the attachment lips.  Especially two.  Eastern style?  All edges are rounded and smooth from wear.  It measures 15" from tip to base.  The base is 2-3/4" in diameter.  The color is wonderful in my opinion.  There are no fasteners retaining the flat wooden plug.  Appears to be some indistinct markings (?) on the plug.  It is translucent to check volume.  Neck rings standoff 3/16" from the horn body.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 04:45:58 AM by JSMOSBY »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Storage Horn With Two Lips
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 05:05:33 AM »
I love it but haven't see a double lobed horn before. Now I’m going to have to make one! It has the look of an early horn to me. In general lobed horns seem to have been common in the northeast until and through the Revolutionary War era.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 05:11:53 AM »
Double lobes- Maybe for wearing on either right or left side?

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 07:15:44 PM »
I wonder if the base plug might be removable for filing and was retained by cross-pins running between the lobes.  The dark marks on the base might confirm that.

Offline JSMOSBY

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 07:54:15 PM »
After reading your plug retention idea about the lobe holes, dark slightly worn indentations' spacing and retention of the plug with pins I grabbed a set of dividers to compare relative locations (centerlines).  Each of the pair of lobe holes match with both pairs of the indentation locations good enough to slide pins through and retain the plug without worrying about orientation, i.e., close enough.  WOW, good call!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 08:25:33 PM by JSMOSBY »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 01:38:02 AM »
This horn appears to be a standard "carry" type horn to me, based on style and size, with the expected Eastern style, dual strap-retention rings on the spout. At some point, it was dropped or damaged on the plug end. The views of the uneven edges around its "bell" or mouth, as well as the uneven lobes, show that it has been shortened during its period of use and reworked. I think the original flat, soft wood Eastern plug was re-used, based on its patina and proper style, and probably reduced slightly in diameter to match the smaller bell from the horn's slight shortening. The period repair used an ingenious method to keep the reworked plug in the horn, with the "new" small lobes with holes for short retaining pins or perhaps iron wires.

Since the horn has strap-retaining rings on the spout, I'd make an educated guess that the repair somehow had a small metal wire loop or other device for strap attachment on the plug end, somehow held by, or a part of, the pins or iron wires that went through the holes in either lobe, and the plug was not opened/closed to fill the horn with powder... such action would have ruined its ability to remain tight and well-sealed to protect the powder inside. 

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 12:01:44 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Flintandsmoke

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2024, 10:50:57 PM »
Ive got one similar to this but found in Maine

Offline Flintandsmoke

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2024, 10:55:41 PM »
Ive got one similar to this but found in Maine

However mine is a traditional NE design and the plug is nailed in

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2024, 07:05:58 AM »
It appears as if there are no nails or pins holding the butt end in place. Could it be that the strap was split and went through the top two lobe holes and were tied through the bottom two holes which consequently held the butt plug in place. Then the plug could be removed and you could quickly fill the horn. I see no other reason for two lobes.