Author Topic: Using Chambers oil finish  (Read 661 times)

Offline brokenhand

• Starting Member
Using Chambers oil finish
« on: May 23, 2024, 12:55:44 AM »
 I would like to get some advice on using Chambers oil finish on a stock.  I have painted a liberal coat on, waited a few minutes and wiped it off and set it up for a day. It looks good, but I am not sure how to add more coats. Please advise how I should proceed from here. Thanks

Offline davebozell

Re: Using Chambers oil finish
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 01:18:18 AM »
Just keep adding thin coats with your finger.  Work it in until it feels almost dry.  I use grey scotchbrite between coats.  5-6 coats is usually enough.

Online Steeltrap

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 01:22:01 AM »
I would suggest a minimum of 4 coats. Apply the second coat the same way you did the first. Let the oil get absorbed into the wood.

Let it dry a minimum of 24 hours. If you have a sunny day, set the stock outside in the sun.

Use some 0000 steel wool in-between coats (and of course, if you have a run here or  there use the steel wool to remove the glob).

After the 3rd coat you should see a very good finish. The 4th will make it a tad better.

No Chambers applied yet:

Two coats applied:

Four coats applied:

Offline AZshot

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 04:49:11 AM »
I got some recently and love it.  But you won't see great results until you get at least 5-6 coates on it, one done each day. 

I rub it in very thin with my fingers.  I don't use scotchbrite unless I feel some tiny roughness from dust motes.  Otherwise, I just put another coat each day until about 6-15 are on it.  I've done several stocks now, it's going to be my only finish. 

The idea of using a liberal coat I'm not sure I agree with.  Probably suggested to start filling the pores of walnut.  But you can just as easily do that with many thin coats which dry faster and don't make a mess if you don't know what you're doing.  By the 5th coat the grain will start to fill,  if you put it on light with fingertips or a blue shop paper towel. 

This week, about 5 coats so far:

Done a few months ago about 10 coats:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 05:05:22 AM by AZshot »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 06:33:20 AM »
Been using it for years. By far the easiest, most user friendly finish going.
Apply liberally, and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it off. Let dry overnight, repeat.
On additional coats, I apply with a maroon scotchbrite pad. No sanding between coats necessary.
Repeat till you’re happy. For me, 6 to 8 coats.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline JLayne

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2024, 12:38:59 PM »
I typically apply heavy with a brush, let it set for about 10-15 mins, wipe off the excess that hasn’t soaked in, and let it dry for at least 24 hours, scuff with a maroon scotchbrite, then repeat. Four coats seems to get me to the sheen I want.

I also use two coats of Permalyn Sealer, applied in the same manner, as a base before starting with the Chambers oil.

Jay

online find duplicates
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 11:55:48 AM by JLayne »

Offline brokenhand

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 07:49:29 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions. I put my second coat on pretty much like the first coat. When I tried to wipe it off, it didn't come off real well. It kind of had some streaks. Then it clouded up and started raining. It didn't dry in 24 hrs, so today the sun is out and I have it sitting out there catching rays. When it gets real good and hard dry, I am going to try my next coats with using my fingers and rubbing it in real well. Plan to do small sections at a time and try to blend it in. Seems as though putting the finish on is what gives me the most trouble.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2024, 08:53:59 PM »
You don’t need to hand rub any coats. Flood and wipe off. The finish will do the rest.
In His grip,

Dane

Online Steeltrap

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2024, 09:32:24 PM »
I guess it’s all in how you feel & experience in using it. For the last two coats I did the finger method & it came out fine.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2024, 04:17:56 AM »
You do you. Just saying….no reason to complicate it.
In His grip,

Dane