Author Topic: Homer Dangler Rifles  (Read 2332 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Homer Dangler Rifles
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2024, 09:21:33 PM »
These are quality built rifles by a well known builder. I am surprised there has not been more interest or comments on these rifles.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2024, 09:30:54 PM »
I think rather exceptional for 1976.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2024, 09:55:26 PM »
I made some locks for Homer and wonder if either of these rifles has one of my locks.
Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2024, 01:55:08 AM »
Homer Dangler was a builder I admired a lot in the early days. He could make very believable re-creations of many different schools of longrifles. I ordered a catalogue of sorts from him way back when. It was comprised of high quality photos of about 8 or 10 of his rifles.
Andover, Vermont

Offline duca

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 12:46:19 PM »
I still have the literature he had sent me and was going to have him build me a Rifle but never did. Sure wish I had
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2024, 04:03:41 AM »
First did business with him in about 1970 or so. Bought stock blanks from him for about 4-5 years when he was in Addeson. (sp) Then didn't see him again until we bumped into each other on traders row in 1994 at the NMLRA Western shoot. 1st class guy and riflesmith.

Offline Jimmyino

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2024, 11:14:22 PM »
I have VHS tapes that he made, one set on building a long rifle and a set on how to carve a long rifle.
My wife bought them for me as an Xmas gift in the 1990's.
She told me that when she called to order them that both Homer and his wife treated her like a long-lost friend.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2024, 05:29:32 PM »
I have VHS tapes that he made, one set on building a long rifle and a set on how to carve a long rifle.
She told me that when she called to order them that both Homer and his wife treated her like a long-lost friend.
Someone gave me one of those tapes years ago. I never saw more than five minutes of it before I fell asleep. Watching Homer make guns was like watching paint dry.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Silky921

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2024, 12:52:56 AM »
At one of the rendezvous I go to, which Homer was a member of. We do a 1 shot X-boards round where members of 5 years and it good standing, get to use a rifle that Homer built for the next year. It's a pretty fun little competition to do..

Offline duca

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2024, 08:05:10 PM »
Someone gave me one of those tapes years ago. I never saw more than five minutes of it before I fell asleep. Watching Homer make guns was like watching paint dry.
Wow,don’t holdback….lol. That was before YouTube, he was kinda ahead of his time
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2024, 01:30:10 AM »
Wow,don’t holdback….lol. That was before YouTube, he was kinda ahead of his time
Anybody that could cobble together a gun was making videos for sale then, hardly cutting edge. Jim Klien once told me he made more Homer Dangler guns than Homer Dangler did.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?