Author Topic: Gunbroker Mess - Still playing with tumbler parts...  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Gunbroker Mess - Still playing with tumbler parts...
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2024, 11:44:03 PM »
I goofed when I said I only use 0-1 for the fly.I made my sears from it as well and I think you are doing well with this project.
That rifle looks similar to a couple I made in the long ago past.You have a lathe and a milling machine and you have shown capability
that is informative.Keep it up.I the 1144 is too small in diameter you can offset it in a 4 jaw chuck and use the long side for the tumbler arm.I have done this in the past.It is slower but accuracy is needed,not speed.
Bob Roller

Offline 45dash100

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2024, 01:17:46 AM »
I goofed when I said I only use 0-1 for the fly.I made my sears from it as well and I think you are doing well with this project.
That rifle looks similar to a couple I made in the long ago past.You have a lathe and a milling machine and you have shown capability
that is informative.Keep it up.I the 1144 is too small in diameter you can offset it in a 4 jaw chuck and use the long side for the tumbler arm.I have done this in the past.It is slower but accuracy is needed,not speed.
Bob Roller

Ah, good point on offsetting stuff.  I will have to remember that for the future.  Lots of interrupted cuts, but with how slow I go since my lathe is super tiny, that may not matter.

Hopefully I don't need to make a sear as well.  It's unevenly worn, possibly since the fly wasn't in the gun. The fact it's worn at all is probably a bad sign.  I'm hoping I can just clean up the edges on it.  Maybe I should try out surface hardening with charcoal afterwards.

At least if I have to make one, I've got the material.  And it's a far simpler shape to grind by hand.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2024, 01:58:35 AM »
I’ve fixed old worn sears by cutting off the tip, hack-sawing a slot in the face of the toe parallel to the foot, and brazing in a piece of high carbon steel with a thin tenon to slip into the slot. Holds the tip in place perfectly.
Andover, Vermont

Offline 45dash100

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2024, 09:54:44 AM »
I’ve fixed old worn sears by cutting off the tip, hack-sawing a slot in the face of the toe parallel to the foot, and brazing in a piece of high carbon steel with a thin tenon to slip into the slot. Holds the tip in place perfectly.

If I find it needs to be longer, I might give something like that a try.  I've never brazed anything before, but have silicone bronze rod for the tig welder.

Though, now that I think about it, If I wanted to experiment with case hardening, I could also simply add steel to the sear with the welder before hardening it.  Would be stronger, though maybe not as period correct.  Now I'm curious when brazing became a thing.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2024, 11:14:50 AM »
Impressive work looks nice.
On the last locks I made, I slotted the tumbler arm with a 1.5mm endmill.
Worked fine.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2024, 04:36:55 PM »
The sears I made were cut with a vertical band saw,milled to the width of the tumbler and then cut from the bar with a horizontal band saw.
I used .437x1 flat ground 0-1 and no reported failures and used carbide 5 flute end mills to shape them,Same for the tumbler to a degree it could be easy to contour with sharp files.The mechanism behind the plate IS the lock,a small spring driven engine and the plate is the chassis.The springs must be shaped and hardened and tempered and if they are right and funky mechanism will work and they were common not rare.f possible get as many machines as you can afford.My shop has 4 lathes,a Vertical mill,2 drill presses,one with a rotary table plus x and Y,3 bench grinders and horizontal and vertical band saws.The horizontal one came from Harbor Freight in 2017 and replaced and old American one I used for 54 years.I still have it.
Bob Roller

Offline 45dash100

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM »
Impressive work looks nice.
On the last locks I made, I slotted the tumbler arm with a 1.5mm endmill.
Worked fine.

Best regards
Rolf

Yeah, I think that's the best way to do it.  Looks like the original was drilled at the endpoint, then possibly filed by hand the rest of the way.

If i'm gonna keep abusing my router, I need to see if I can find a low profile machinist vise or something.  For now I'll 3D print a jig, and CA the parts down.

The sears I made were cut with a vertical band saw,milled to the width of the tumbler and then cut from the bar with a horizontal band saw.
I used .437x1 flat ground 0-1 and no reported failures and used carbide 5 flute end mills to shape them,Same for the tumbler to a degree it could be easy to contour with sharp files.The mechanism behind the plate IS the lock,a small spring driven engine and the plate is the chassis.The springs must be shaped and hardened and tempered and if they are right and funky mechanism will work and they were common not rare.f possible get as many machines as you can afford.My shop has 4 lathes,a Vertical mill,2 drill presses,one with a rotary table plus x and Y,3 bench grinders and horizontal and vertical band saws.The horizontal one came from Harbor Freight in 2017 and replaced and old American one I used for 54 years.I still have it.
Bob Roller

I started saving for a proper milling machine at the end of last year.  Probably gonna take to the end of this one before I'm ready to buy one.  Could get a manual machine now, but I'd like to save more and get something that can be converted to CNC, or capable of both manual and computer control.  I know for certain that I'll want and be able to use the additional capability. 

Kinda kicking myself for getting a standard lathe.  Shoulda bit the bullet and bought one with ball screws so I could convert it to CNC and have minimal backlash. 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2024, 11:08:32 PM »
I just started a reply and this computer went into something idiotic.My 4 lathes and the mill are all Atlas?Clausing from Kalamazoo,Michigan.
And still work well.I am primarily a bench craftsman and nothing more but did other machine shop jobs such as bronze bearings for car transmissions that are now out of production as well as reconditioning stator supports for GM transmissions.Five minutes of work was $25 and I did them for 3 shops here where we live.Taylor Sapergia who has thousands of posts on this forum and has favorably commented on my 4 screw locks by comparing them with English antiques and said they are comparable.Lest I forget,the slot in the tumbler arm on my locks was done with a modified woodruff key slot cutter.
Bob Roller

Offline 45dash100

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2024, 10:00:33 PM »
I just started a reply and this computer went into something idiotic.My 4 lathes and the mill are all Atlas?Clausing from Kalamazoo,Michigan.
And still work well.I am primarily a bench craftsman and nothing more but did other machine shop jobs such as bronze bearings for car transmissions that are now out of production as well as reconditioning stator supports for GM transmissions.Five minutes of work was $25 and I did them for 3 shops here where we live.Taylor Sapergia who has thousands of posts on this forum and has favorably commented on my 4 screw locks by comparing them with English antiques and said they are comparable.Lest I forget,the slot in the tumbler arm on my locks was done with a modified woodruff key slot cutter.
Bob Roller

I've had my eye out for used machines.  There's very little good stuff to be had in my area unfortunately, especially in the right size.  I only have room for bench-top sized stuff.  Would be nice to have a manual machine in addition to CNC.  Will probably be best to just wait though.

The shop my CNC machine is in right now is not air conditioned, and it's been stupid hot lately.  Got a bit done early this morning before it turned into an oven.

You can see a divot in the fly circle.  Bumped the wrong jog axis.   ::)  Could have still made the fly work, but I want it to look nice.  Will just have to make another one on the lathe.

The slot and spring arm worked out pretty well though.  Fits right into place

Since it'll be too hot to play with the CNC anymore, I think I'll go back to working on the hammer.  It still needs a bunch of shaping done.  Then I need to figure out the order of operations for cutting the square post in the tumbler shaft, and square hole in the hammer.  Not sure which will be easiest to do first.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2024, 02:44:59 AM »
To me that is the ideal contour for a lock tumbler and I have made a bunch of them.My shop is air conditioned but I have no interest in doing anything and enjoy it.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 03:05:04 AM by Bob Roller »