Author Topic: Early British gorget  (Read 771 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
Early British gorget
« on: June 03, 2024, 07:42:42 PM »
I thought some my like to see some close ups of an early British gorget. If I am correct  this dates to around 1750-1760. Based on the size ,style and royal cypher .If anyone has any info or comments I would like to here.   Jim

« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 05:03:53 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Mark Tyler

Re: Early British gorget
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 04:05:02 AM »
Very cool. Nice cypher. Is this brass with gold gilding?

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 05:01:39 PM »
[quote author=Mark Tyler
Very cool. Nice cypher. Is this brass with gold gilding?

Mark , Thanks for your reply. I believe this is gilted copper. You can see around the edges where the gilt has worn off from years of wear and handling. It must have gone through several campaigns . The holes where the ties go show some wear also. The outside edges are rolled around some type of metal wire for strength  and to help hold the shape . I think I misspoke on the age . I believe it will date at the earliest  1765. It is right before the British started requiring regimental marks . That was in 1768.
 The width at it's widest is 4 1/2 inches.   Jim
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 05:51:21 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2024, 10:28:26 PM »
Always thought one would be a good piece for the collection. This one is really nice. Thanks for posting it. Cool piece of history
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.