Author Topic: Matchlock hunting ?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Matchlock hunting ?
« on: June 05, 2024, 03:41:55 PM »
Any one  have experience  hunting with a matchlock ?  I have been hetting the urge to give it a try this Fall I don't think the match
would necessarily bother/ alert deer but I'm guessing a black bear would notice . Being in a tree stand might help ?   I usually hunt from the ground

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Matchlock hunting ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2024, 04:56:05 PM »
Knowing nothing about whats normally done when hunting with a matchlock I'm curious about when you light the match. Before your target is spotted, when your target is spotted or just before your shot? :-\

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2024, 05:08:54 PM »
Also:  A couple of weeks ago I was Bear hunting in Saskatchewan during a rainy spell and decided to try one of those enclosed pop up blinds. It kept me and my flint lock dry during the intermittent showers. Keeping a matchlock dry might be more challenging.  :-\

Offline Habu

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2024, 06:11:43 PM »
Years ago--early '90s maybe--Doc Carlson wrote a product review about a matchlock, and mentioned hunting with it.  I ran into him a few months later and we briefly discussed it, turned out he was hunting from a stand.  I had to give it a try so I built a matchlock, and was out with it that fall.  Problem is I'm a still-hunter. 

Managing the match was a headache.  I was checking it every few minutes to make sure it hadn't gone out or burned down too far.  A couple times the free end managed to get tangled in brush.  I was using a nitrated hemp/cotton cord that burned at a fairly fast rate (we know today that a bucked hemp cord soaked in lead acetate burns slower and hotter).

I hunted into the wind.  If any deer noticed the smell of the burning match it didn't seem to bother them.  A couple times I stalked within ~25'.  I filled my tag and as best I recall didn't shoot the gun again before I traded it off. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2024, 06:46:38 PM »
Justin Urbantis has ikilled a deer with a matchlock gun. Maybe he will see this thread and post to it?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rudyc

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2024, 07:38:18 PM »
One of my pals, several years ago deer hunted with one he made,
He used a Bic lighter to light the wick and felt pretty bad about that. 
After that he sold it and went back to his flintlock
"It's a good day for something"

Offline Habu

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2024, 12:23:58 AM »
I'll admit I had a Bic in my pocket in case the match went out or got dampened.  It wasn't needed, but it was probably a good idea. 

Online okawbow

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2024, 02:20:54 PM »
I’ve hunted with my .75 cal. Matchlock a few times. Always hunted from a blind where I could have a candle lit. When I saw a turkey or deer, I lit the match. Never took a shot at game with it yet, but the candle made lighting the match quick and easy.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2024, 02:15:37 AM »
Justin Urbantis has ikilled a deer with a matchlock gun. Maybe he will see this thread and post to it?

Ein luntenschloss fur hirsch? Steinschloss,gestern,heute,morgen.
Bob Roller

Offline kudu

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2024, 02:55:37 AM »
 Larry Horrigan , from Michigan shot a 8pt. Last year with one he built.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2024, 02:47:13 PM »
I have used my homemades for hunting.
Got a nice muley with the long one, but no chances with the short snapping lock.
Deer do not seem phased by 'wood smoke".

I carried the hemp match one end lit, and only applied it to the serpent when I felt a shot was likely.
Burned about 18 inches before I got  a shot at the mule deer. (inch in 5 minutes stuf I made)

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2024, 07:57:23 AM »
Yep. I got my deer about 15 years ago with my .75 matchlock. I set up in a tree stand in an area where the deer would travel. I sat there until one got to about 60 yards. When it stepped behind a tree I quietly lit the match, and waited till it got closer and gave me a good broadside at 40 yards. Dropped with one shot easily. I actually brought out the matchlock and some others for a demonstration at a local gun club last week. Blew up a watermelon spectacularly at 25 yards with it.

post a pic

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2024, 08:01:07 AM »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2024, 03:36:23 PM »
Wow !  Thanks everyone.  Big congratulations to Justin and Pukka  :)  I did make some match cord per the instructions in a video by Cap and Ball on Youtube, which involves boiling the cord in water and wood ash. It worked well. I took some with me on a scout in my woods and the deer don't seem to mind at all, so this looks like a go for this Fall  :)   

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2024, 04:12:50 PM »
ON AVERAGE, how long will the cord last when lit?  As in an inch per hour, foot per hour etc   :-\

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2024, 04:54:01 PM »
I did burn tests years ago with different recipes. A foot an hour is probably close.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2024, 05:33:55 PM »
OK,  thanks Justin.