Author Topic: Introducing Hector and Achilles  (Read 16292 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Introducing Hector and Achilles
« on: December 22, 2009, 04:59:49 AM »
Hi Folks,
Below are some photos of dueling pistols, case, and accessories that I made for my brother as a Christmas gift.  I finished them a while ago but needed new frizzens from Blackley's to replace 2 that I did not heat treat properly and broke. The pistols are modeled after Robert Wogdon of London but tailored to fit my brother's hand (I think). One pistol has an engraved portrait of Hector and the other of Achilles on the triggerguards.  They were the actors in one of the most famous duels in (mythological) history. The barrels are 50 cal swamped tubes from Ed Rayl, the wood is black walnut (stained to mimic English walnut) from Gobi, and the locks are made from castings by Blackley's. The case lining is wool baize fabric from Abimelech Hainsworth Co. in England. I made everything else by hand including the accessories, case, and leather travel cover. These represent what a customer of means would buy to defend his honor. I hope you enjoy the photos.

dave

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:43:25 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
Re: Introducing Hector and Achilles
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 05:03:37 AM »
Very, very nice. What a Christmas gift!!

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:35:44 AM »
I could not duel with those, my drool would cause a misfire.

incredible workmanship
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 06:00:19 AM »
Dave, that is a true labor of love. Personally, I find this kind of work very inspiring. Thanks so much for posting your work.

I really like the use of mythology in a gun. You have done the gods proud. Very tasteful and well executed. I also appreciate the effort you put into research, as it shows in your treatment of the pistols, the lined case, the label, the leather carry case..... goodness me, what a wonderful labor.

Thanks again,

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 06:00:45 AM »
Just awsome :)
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 06:26:30 AM »
Like the finish on the barrels very much.  Any possiblity you could share the process with us?

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 07:10:28 AM »
Um, don't suppose you'd like to adopt another brother would you?!! That's truly awesome work. Thanks for sharing.

Lloyd

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
Very nice...  I have a set of Wogdon copies that I started working on about 5 or 6 years ago...  They are for me, so they have to sit on the back burner until I get all of the "paying customers" stuff out of the shop...

We shot a few duels with them at the ALRA Western Gathering in Ogden, Ut back in October.  They are still in the white and need a lot more work, but they shot pretty good....

Lloyd

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 09:12:54 AM »
That was awsome!!! The leather case was a beautiful touch. Most impressiv.
Dave, when you build the locks, how did you known where to drill the hole on the lockplate?

Best regards

Rolfkt

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 04:17:51 PM »
Dave, Beautiful, Everything!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Simply awesome! 

JMC

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »
Congratulations, Dave - very well done and presented.  They are beautifully done.

Licensed to kill

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 08:38:13 PM »
Very nice work Dave. I particularily like the authentic case colours dominated by straws with subdued blues. Would you mind sharing your process?.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 09:28:26 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous Dave!  Man I'd be tickled if I just received a box like that from my brother.  Beautiful workmanship from the pistols, to the accoutrements, to the box and cover.  Well done!

Dan
Dan Akers

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 12:58:53 AM »
 WOW!

Tim C.

J.D.

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 03:46:39 AM »
Beautiful workmanship. Absolutely beautiful.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 04:18:10 AM »
What a work of love.
You've surely created a new family heirloom.

Great job!
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 08:34:10 AM »
What marvels you have created!!  Apart from the grips being a little oversized, they are most recognizable as Wogdon pistols.  Your metal treatment is excellent...love to have a little exposee on the hardening process, and the damascus treatment of the barrels.
Truly wonderful workmanship in all media.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 02:28:31 PM »
Very nice! Your brother should be extremely happy this Christmas!!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
Hi Friends,
Thank you all for your interest and comments.  I appreciate them very much.  The pistols were work but not a labor.  Aside from expressing affection for my brother, they provided me with an incredible learning experience concerning pistol design and the British gun trade.  I wanted to master (as well as I could) many of the different trades that composed the industry in the 18th century.  I tried to pay attention to every detail I could think of.  For example, the ramrod tips were turned from horn of a species of African antelope (Gemsbok I think) supplied by a friend who had been on safari.  That was easy to figure out but what did the gunmakers do with the other end of the ramrods?  You rarely see photos or descriptions of that detail.  It took some digging but I eventually located photos of rods from pistols and used those details to fashion the tips and worms.  The powder flask was another detail.  I made a simple but historically correct one-way flask. Two-way flasks had a compartment for balls and 3-way had compartments for both balls and flints.  I originally thought the flask valve would be a simple sheet of brass that slide over the inside of the top to close the hole.  However, it occurred to me that as powder grains inevitably built up fouling between the valve and the top, the valve would stick.  I have an original early 19th century brass flask that I disassembled to examine the parts.  Sure enough, the hole has a slight collar around it on the inside so the valve is elevated and does not touch the inside of the top.  I used that information to build my flask and it works flawlessly.  Learning those kinds of details was priceless.

The "twist" finish on the barrels is easy in concept but tedious in execution. I studied many photos of English twist and stub twist barrels (they were not Damascus twist - in the 18th century) and selected a Manton pistol barrel as a model. I polished the barrels with 1500 grit paper and degreased them.  Then, using the Manton barrel as a guide, I carefully painted the inverse of the pattern on the barrels with etching resist (standard asphaltum ground from jewelry suppliers).  I practiced a bit on another barrel to develop the skill to mimic the real pattern.  I used several brushes of different sizes. Once the ground was painted and dried, I sealed the muzzle with a cork and painted it with ground and then painted the breech plug. I placed the barrels in a glass baking dish and covered them with Ferric Chloride (circuit board etchant sold by Radio Shack).  I soaked them for 30 minutes, then washed with water and again with water and baking soda.  The resulting pattern was beautiful and could be used as is with no browning. In fact, if you just apply cold bluing to the barrels and sand it off the high spots, the result is spectacular. Next, I browned the barrels using Dixie's browning solution, which produces a much redder, coppery color than any of the other solutions. I carded the barrels using 1500 grit paper wrapped around a block of wood to remove rust from the high spots but keep the color in the low spots.  After getting a light coppery color, I washed the barrels in water and then put them in the oven at 475 degrees F to deepen the bronze tones. After that, I rubbed beeswax on the warm barrels and buffed them. The brown may not turn out to be really durable but it doesn't matter because the underlying pattern is really nice without any browning and as it wears they will assume a nice old rubbed patina.  Before choosing this method, I experimented with a number of techniques.  I can tell you emphatically that painting the whole barrel with resist or some other coating and then scraping in a pattern is a waste of time. The resist doesn't scrape away cleanly, it is hard to follow the pattern around the barrel, and it almost always looks too machine like to be real.   

With respect to casehardening, I simply use technique described by Jerry Huddleston.  I casehardened all of the exposed steel rather than bluing it.  All components were highly polished first.  I loosely wrapped the lock plates and cocks with steel wire before placing them in the heat.  Parts were packed in 75% bone charcoal and 25% wood charcoal from Brownells and then heated to 1450 degrees F for 90 minutes.  They were quenched in clean rainwater.  The pour is important.  You don't want any air to hit the metal before it enters the quench.  Therefore, you hold the crucible low over the water and quickly turn it over so the entire pack drops into the water as a unit.  Once quenched, the parts were heat soaked at 490 degrees F to temper them and deepen the bronze colors.  The wire wrap helps to create more blues at each point where it touches the part.  The frizzens were tempered to only 400 degrees but the toes were then heated to blue with a propane torch.  That is all there was to it.

Again thanks for all your interest and comments.

dave

Offline t.caster

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »
ABSOLUTELY FIRST CLASS ALL THE WAY!!! You really went the extra mile(s) with all  the accoutrements!
Need another brother?????
What a MERRY CHRISTMAS it will be!!!
Tom C.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
Dave, it is clearly evident that you did the research, and perfected your craft to the degree that you were able to pull this off in high order.   I have admired your engraving skills, which you put to stunning use on these fine guns.  You have demonstrated a mastery of so many disciplines from fine cabinetry to the reproduction of antique accouterments.  As with any endeavor, the more you know your objective the better chance you have of achieving it.  It appears that you have clearly achieved your objective.   The results speak for themselves. 
Merry Christmas, and success in all your endeavors.
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 05:35:13 AM »
Hi Ron,
Thank you for the compliment. It means a great deal to me coming from you.

Rolf, I realized that I never responded to your question about making locks.  The lock plates came with tumbler holes cast in. I wish that they had not because it is hard to clean up the hole polish the tumbler without the tumbler fit becoming loose.  I actually had to install steel bushings around the tumbler holes in both locks to get the precise fit that I wanted. Kevin Blackley tells me that they no longer cast in the holes and allow the builder to drill them.  That is my preference. Anyway, the position of the cock and tumbler determine where all the other holes go (except for the frizzen and feather spring). I clean up the cock, tumbler, and lock plate, and then drill a pilot hole through the cock where the center of the tumbler shaft is positioned. Then I place the cock on the lock plate and position it so the flint will be pointed at the center of the pan when at rest. I clamp the cock onto the plate and use the pilot hole in the cock to mark where the tumbler hole is drilled through the plate. I fit the tumbler into the plate and then drill a hole for the tumbler through the bridle. I put the bridle on top of the tumbler and mark where the bridle and sear screw holes should go and drill them. With the sear fitted, I determine where the sear spring hole should go.  It is all pretty easy if you go slow and drill carefully. I undersize all holes and ream them to the precise diameter. 

dave

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 12:15:12 PM »
Dave, thanks for your explanation. I'm very tempted to try to build a pair of these locks, but I've been scared of drilling holes in the wrong places. Especially the placement of the tumbler hole gives me the willies.

Best regards

Rolfkt