Author Topic: Gouges what do you like?  (Read 840 times)

Offline J Shingler

Gouges what do you like?
« on: June 27, 2024, 09:10:13 PM »
Ok guys I am at a point where I would like to have a really nice set of gouges. Like five or six really nice ones. I have a mixed set of flea market finds of mixed brands and quality. I have good flat chisles and skew chisles. So what brand do you like and who carries them?  Your opinion?
Thanks
Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Online ed lundquist

Re: Gouges what do you like?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2024, 09:59:45 PM »
Don't buy a set, buy what you need. There are plenty or good makers, you can't go wrong with Two Cherries or Pfeil. There are full size and smaller, I have some of both for different jobs. Plenty of great flea market stuff out there as you know. My chisel problem is finding space for them all, is there a Chisels/Gouges Anonymous?

Offline c deperro

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2024, 11:17:49 PM »
woodcraft supply carries swiss made/ phiel gouges . they are the best i have ever used. jim Kibler has a basic list of sizes to start with .

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2024, 02:50:09 AM »
Being cheap, lazy,  and creative, I made my own.  I used thick coil spring stock to make various radiuses from 1/4" to 2 1/2".  The non cutting end was rolled and a golf ball was used for the handle.  I made a couple of really small ones from sold rod.  With all those I can stamp any radius and increasing curve for scrolls. 

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2024, 07:50:57 AM »
I have quite an assortment of gouges - flea market finds, antique tool dealers, German made, English built, American, home-made etc.  The very best gouges I have ever used are Pfiel gouges, far and away the best IMHO.  I could have saved a lot of money if I bought them first.  Don't buy a set.  And then continue to buy antique gouges, there are always cool ones lurking out there....  8)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline PHolder

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2024, 03:17:15 PM »
I hand carve figurines and Christmas ornaments.  I Pfeil and have bought them from WoodCraft.  I have one just down the road.

If your getting more than a few remember WoodCraft has an exclusive deal to sell Pfeil in the US. This means $$$

I have bought a lot from these fellows in Canada.  Cheaper along with the favorable exchange rate
https://woodworkerspecialties.com/brand/pfeil/

Offline bobw

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2024, 05:10:46 PM »
I own probably 40 Pheil carving tools.  But, the old 80/20 rule really holds true with these also.  I use 20% of them, 80% of the time.  I use the 5 mm wide, in 1,2,3 and 5 profiles most of the time.  5/2 being the most used of them all, I have 2.  I would suggest looking at these numbers and build from there.  You can use a stamping tool, like used for carving, to cut-in your tighter curves for inlets rather than gouges, or make some of the tighter radius tool you might need.
Bob

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2024, 08:06:36 PM »
I have two large 1" and 1-1/4" Henry Taylor gouges for heavy wood removal and I LOVE them. They keep their edge for a long time all I have to do is strop them from time to time.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Habu

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2024, 10:59:41 PM »
I've reground several of my mixed auction gouges so they are in-cannel rather than out-cannel.  Very useful with some inletting tasks, and at odd times for carving. 

As for putting together a "set", I agree with Bobw that 5mm 1/2/3/5 is a nice starting point. 

Offline bobw

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2024, 04:00:07 PM »
For heavy wood removal, anymore I use a 4 inch sanding disc on an angle grinder.  It’s amazing how fast and accurate it is.
Bob

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2024, 04:34:22 PM »
I have some experience with various brands of gouges. Pfeil (Swiss) Henry Taylor (English), Ashley Isles (English) and Dastra (German). All make very high quality gouges. That being said, Pfeil is the most easily obtained here in the US.  If you have a temptation to mix brands be aware that the sweep numbers are not exactly the same,   brand to brand. In other words a #3 in one might be a #4 in another.  If you are looking for gouges for carving, I think you can do good work with a group of ten or so. To reinforce anothers advice,
don't buy a set of carving tools. These are designed for general carvers not gun makers. I did this myself and found only half the group of eight anywhere near useful. Used gouges can be very good tools, however with the trend for collecting Vintage tools, they are sometimes more expense than new. As I talk with other carvers, I note that there is a wide preference to handle size and shape. I think this is due to the size of the individuals hands and what they have been accustomed to using. The bulk of my Ashley Isles are full-size round handles, my Dastra gouges (primarily for inletting) have medium octagonal handles and  my smallest gouges have pear shaped handles.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2024, 10:02:08 PM »
My small wood carvers/inletters are Craftsman probably from Sears&Roebuck in 1954 and I think they are really Millers Falls.
Like others here,I sometimes made my own for special jobs in wood and metal.The last time I used the wood tools was in 2000
when I made a long range muzzle loader.
Bob Roller

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2024, 11:15:24 PM »
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the info. Of the few that I have I rate the Pheil and Two Cherries as my favorites. Thank you for that Canadian link. That looks like it could save $8-$10 a chisle.  I will definitely take advantage of that.
Thanks
Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2024, 01:38:16 AM »
I ordered five gouges in the smaller size as a sample from tha place in Canada. Woodworkers specialty will see how that goes. Thanks for all the hints and suggestions.
Jeff
Thank you
Jeff