Author Topic: Some advice needed on first issue with my Kibler SMR kit build?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Kurt

I can go to private messaging if that would be best. Would someone be willing to answer my questions? Thank you. Kurt

Offline P.Bigham

Re: Some advice needed on first issue with my Kibler SMR kit build?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 01:10:30 AM »
I'll try and help if you like.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 04:38:19 AM »
Kirt I sent a PM but happy to help any way I can.
Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Offline Kurt

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 07:35:40 AM »
The PM messaging seems to have some bugs. Thanks for the offer of help. Mr. Bigham's encouragement was welcomed. I am in the very first steps of Jim Kibler's videos and am experiencing similar challenges within. Oddly, it is making it fun! I very much appreciate the generous offers of assistance.

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 12:12:36 PM »
why don't you call Mr Kibler? What other "issues" are you having? Is there a problem with the kit? or did you create the issue?
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2024, 02:29:26 AM »
Who better to answer your questions than Jim Kibler himself?
Tom C.

Offline Kurt

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2024, 04:47:25 AM »
I figure  Jim Kibler is quite busy but if I run into a problem only he can help with I will do that. Kibler is sending me a replacement tang screw that should arrive tomorrow. Fitting the barrel and tang, and the trigger assembly is as far as I have gotten. In Jim Kibler's assembly video for the SMR he had no trouble fitting the barrel and tang but had an issue with the same tang screw as I but the shank was too thick on his while the head was too tall and flat on mind. My inexperience had me wondering why the screw wouldn't go as deep as it should but with a little study I figured that out. I had another concern I won't mention that a friend here helped with and I'm good. Jim Kibler says in his video that they don't make the tang bolts. You gents with lathes could have handled a bolt fix but the bottom of the head is convex and I didn't want to try it with a file and a power drill. I don't want my lack of gun-building skills to disparage Kibler kits, and I very much appreciate the help I have received!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 09:34:56 PM by Kurt »

Offline 45dash100

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2024, 06:51:09 AM »
I figure  Jim Kibler is quite busy but if I run into a problem only he can help with I will do that. Kibler is sending me a replacement tang screw that should arrive tomorrow. Fitting the barrel and tang, and the trigger assembly is as far as I have gotten. In Jim Kibler's assembly video for the SMR he had no trouble fitting the barrel and tang but had an issue with the same tang screw as I but the shank was too thick on his while the head was too tall and flat on mind. My inexperience had me wondering why the screw wouldn't go as deep as it should but with a little study I figured that out. I had another concern I won't mention that a friend here helped with and I'm good. Jim Kibler says in his video that they don't make the tang bolts. You gents with lathes could have handled a bolt fix but the bottom of the head is convex and I didn't want to try it with a file and a power drill. I don't want my lack of gun-building skills to disparage Kibler kits, and I very much appreciate the help I have received!

Power drill and some sand paper would do the job easily.  Way more controllable than a file.  Since you're getting a new one, might as well experiment with the one you have.  Good practice for indexing the screw.

Offline Kurt

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2024, 02:52:57 AM »
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 04:20:03 AM by Kurt »

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2024, 03:30:44 PM »
Very nice rifle!!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2024, 03:33:27 PM »
Nice looking rifle.

Offline Kurt

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2024, 04:59:29 PM »
I suspect the PM and email feature is not working reliably so I'd like to say thank you to those who offered and provided advice on my rifle build. It is appreciated.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2024, 05:10:35 PM »
Well done Kurt.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V