Author Topic: July Postal Match  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
July Postal Match
« on: July 01, 2024, 09:22:47 PM »
Long gun: 50 yards RESTED anyway you like. Shooters may shoot 25 yards rest with a pistol.

Shooter may staple on an aiming point of their choice color/size/shape/location. But no sticky targets. It has to be removable without target damage to show the target for score.

You may shoot one shot per target (best idea IMO) or all 5 on one target if they are readable to score individual shots. Shoot as many targets as you like. HOWEVER. Shooting one shot per target means the targets shown for score need to be of consecutive shots. No cherry picking.
I recommend a piece of card board box for a backer it will make cleaner holes.  Since its a rest match we will use center of hole to determine the score.

https://www.nssf.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Target-Bullseye.pdf

Remember offhand is a poor test of a rifle.

I somehow dropped the photo of the target off this post in an edit. This is the target linked above.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 09:46:46 AM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline MuskratMike

Re: July Postal Match
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 09:52:59 PM »
No but for those who don't have target rifles, offhand is a better test of the rifleman's skill. So are we testing the guns or the shooter? I'll take a pass on this one.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 01:22:24 AM »
No but for those who don't have target rifles, offhand is a better test of the rifleman's skill. So are we testing the guns or the shooter? I'll take a pass on this one.

Well you, after all, would know your abilities better than I.  I like to shoot, win, loose or draw is irrelevant.  I travel very long distances to shoot matches that I KNOW I can never win but I love the sport. A ML match where I live is 100+ miles one way. I do pretty well most times.
If you cannot shoot a group from a rest how  can you shoot one standing? A person does not even need a zero for 50 yards for this. Shoot a shot or two at a piece of paper with your aiming point and just put the aiming point at a place on a score target where the sight picture will put the ball in the middle. But then a rifleman should know where his rifle shoots.
But then silly me, I thought this was about TRADITIONAL MLs so I cooked up something at least SOMEWHAT like what was shot back in the day. Where rest matches were the NORM. Off hand matches did not become popular until well into the percussion era when Schuetzen became a big money game in the US. The “chunk match” match never really died out in America. At least nit until after WW-I.
Hunting? I almost never shoot offhand at an animal if I can avoid it. I have done it a few times, range short and no way to do anything else since the critter had “made” me. But I really like prone or a rest.
And I dislike luck matches.
BTW an actual quote by Rev. Doddridge  speaking of the frontier 1763-1783, reads “..The present mode of shooting off hand was not then in practice. This mode was not considered as any trial of a gun, nor indeed, as much of a test of the skill of a marksmen”.
Now I seem to remember the “poor test of a rifle” from somewhere but this is the one I have bookmarked in LaCrosse’s “The Frontier Rifleman”.  It basically says the same thing with more verbage. It might be in “Colonial Riflemen in The American Revolution”. Or I somehow “translated” Doddridge.
And with the lock time of a flintlock its nearly impossible to shot group as small standing as I can with a BPCR with its slow lock time.
Then….

So do you consider a 54 Kibler Colonial a “target rifle? Yeah it was shooting too high. So I put on a taller front sight.
With the proper aiming point it would do pretty well as it was on the target shown in my first post.
ITS A RIFLE MATCH. Rifles are supposed to shoot small groups.

But then America has always been populated with gun owners, shooters and riflemen. The first generally knows where the bullet comes out, the second can hit what he is shooting at if its big enough. The rifleman is more competent. He is the guy at  Second Saratoga that shot Burgoyne's cannoneers off their guns, who killed British officers (General Frazier at 300 yards)  and drove the British scouts back to Canada. Won at King’s Mountain and quite a few others as well.  I try to be a rifleman, not just a gun owner.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 02:29:35 AM »
https://targets.s3.amazonaws.com/PDF/Bullseye1Multi.pdf

This is the target I get with your link. Can’t find the one you show in the picture.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 07:17:03 AM »
Dang dunno how that happened. Must had a loose nut at the keyboard
This should do it Will edit original as well

Offline okawbow

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2024, 03:41:02 PM »
Thanks Dan. Works now.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2024, 08:28:29 PM »
It doesn't take a lot to confuse me. There is only one target on your post that comes up. That is the one you shot with the Kibler colonial.
The link takes me to a target with a small bullseye and is a two page taped target.
Which is it?
Then your last post says one shot per target. The first link that Okabow posted goes to a target with 5 bulls on it. So now I am thoroughly confused.
Any how I'm not printing anything till this is clarified.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline okawbow

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2024, 10:56:23 PM »

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2024, 09:42:51 AM »
It doesn't take a lot to confuse me. There is only one target on your post that comes up. That is the one you shot with the Kibler colonial.
The link takes me to a target with a small bullseye and is a two page taped target.
Which is it?
Then your last post says one shot per target. The first link that Okabow posted goes to a target with 5 bulls on it. So now I am thoroughly confused.
Any how I'm not printing anything till this is clarified.
The first post has the rules and the link. It also had a photo pf the target but when I changed the link to the correct one I somehow dropped that off.
I somehow got the wrong link initially. So the wrong target came up. DUNNO how but I screwed up. I corrected this in TWO PLACES.

The shot target? I was trying to point out that a typical hunting rifle should shoot well enough at 50 yards and that a target rifle was not needed. And the target was shot in 2022 as is written on the target.  Its not even on the same post as the link.
No,  its not a 2 page taped target.

THIS is the TARGET as my printer prints it.  Note the size.

This is the link.

And I said it could shot on ONE TARGET IF the shooter wants but needs to have 5 holes that can be scored and 5 shots in one hole can make this tough so its best to shoot FIVE targets.

Offline alacran

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2024, 03:06:46 PM »
Thank you Dan. I will probably shoot this of Sticks. Our public range has great benches for CF rifles, but they leave a lot to be desired for muzzleloaders.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2024, 04:20:33 PM »
Thank you!  I’m going to try and get some shooting in this weekend

Tony

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2024, 04:54:49 PM »
Dan,
Your reply in post #2 is exactly as I see it.

All the best,
R.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2024, 04:38:56 AM »
Ok, think I finally figured it out use an aiming point like the chunk shooters??
Mike Lee

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2024, 10:07:46 PM »
Exactly.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2024, 07:38:09 PM »

Here are my 5 targets from this morning, I score it a 45?

.40 at 50 yds rested

Tony
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 02:22:00 PM by Tony N »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2024, 01:16:20 AM »
Good shooting, Tony.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2024, 03:01:19 PM »
Good shooting Tony. However, you could have done it all on one target. I plan on shooting this and have my targets printed. I doubt that Dan is going to have a hard time deciphering where my shots are.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2024, 03:40:37 PM »
Good shooting Tony. However, you could have done it all on one target. I plan on shooting this and have my targets printed. I doubt that Dan is going to have a hard time deciphering where my shots are.

I was afraid that all 5 shots would be in the 10 ring and make it hard to score. 😉

Offline alacran

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2024, 03:00:41 PM »

I was afraid that all 5 shots would be in the 10 ring and make it hard to score. 😉
I have no such fear!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2024, 04:09:56 PM »
Would have been a really nice group.
Daryl

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2024, 03:54:33 AM »
Nice shooting.
Yes it is a 45.
You can lay each target on a sheet of paper one at a time  and mark the holes to get a group on one sheet.

Offline alacran

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2024, 03:57:32 PM »
Once you have figured out your sighting and are confident of your ability, you could staple 5 targets together and shoot once. For that matter you could just shoot at bundles of five targets till you hit a bullseye LOL.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2024, 04:17:41 PM »
The rifle that I used was a .40 flint rifle that I use for Table Shooting, a form of shooting that’s similar to a chunk shoot.

Tony

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2024, 07:50:37 PM »
Shooting Dorothy, my .54 Jaeger, 70 gr 2F a .535 RB a .018 patch Hoppes Lube, sand bag rest on bench. I have it sighted for 3inch high at 50 yards, so used pink sticky notes for my aim point.

target 1

target 2

target 3

target 4

and 5

Looks like a 43 to me.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2024, 10:20:27 PM »
I agree 43.

I will be on the road or at Camp Perry for about 2 weeks starting Saturday but will try to keep up on this.  But its hectic. Packing right now.