Author Topic: Gouge recommendation  (Read 308 times)

Offline Muggsy1776

• Starting Member
Gouge recommendation
« on: July 05, 2024, 05:26:07 AM »
I’ve finally started on the relief carving of my first rifle.  I have a wood patch box and I want to add the thumb catch.  I’m looking for recommendations as to what size gouge I should use to carve it out.  It’s going to about 12mm wide.   I have limited gouges and nothing very wide- needless to say I have to buy one.  I have discovered that the gouges I previously bought were too wide so I have been down sizing and I don’t want to make another buying mistake. Thanks!

Offline Muggsy1776

• Starting Member
Re: Gouge recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 04:26:47 PM »
My thought is a #7 or a #8..

Offline Scota4570

Re: Gouge recommendation
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 05:46:22 PM »
People use many variations.  It depends on how you carve.  Do several practice carvings on maple boards.  Do not do the stock until you can do a good practice carving. 

I am a beginner carver.  I can not draw well free hand.   I print out the pattern then transfer it with carbon paper to the wood.  I make the pattern using drafting templates.  I stamp in the pattern with gouges that match the curves.  I made the gouges from clock spring and made the handles from golf balls.  I used mechanics sockets to form the curves in the spring steel. 

In addition to the gouges I use little skew chisels and straight chisels.  As important as the chisels is keeping them razor sharp.