Author Topic: Flintlock Long Gun Storage/Display  (Read 1821 times)

Offline canadianml1

Flintlock Long Gun Storage/Display
« on: July 13, 2024, 03:16:55 AM »
I have accumulated/acquired several long guns over the years and I am running out of corners to "store" them in. Standard gun cases aren't high enough and the price of a custom cabinet is prohibitive.  How do you store yours? Any ideas or pics would be appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 02:02:28 AM by canadianml1 »

Offline JEH

Re: Flintlock Long Gun Storage/Display
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 04:19:44 AM »
I have a couple "lazy Suzan" rotating stands I keep mine in. Pretty sure I found them on Amazon. Works for me.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2024, 04:45:51 AM »

imagehost
Some on pegs on the wall, some in a 4 gun stand up under my mantel, one on top of mantel and many in assorted corners.  ::)

Offline JLayne

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2024, 03:49:28 PM »

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 12:14:57 AM »
Thanks for the pics!!

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2024, 10:38:06 PM »
You can easily make a vertical lazy susan style stand.  Plywood base, round lazy susan bearing base from Lee Valley, plywood disc, upright of iron pipe with pipe flanges, upper support disc (which can also be a base for a second story).
I was going to post a photo of a two story lazy susan 12 gun rack, 2' - 2 1/2' base diameter, but some of the racked guns would have been offensive...
12 guns nicely racked using rather small amount of floor space, readily accessible by rotating the unit.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 10:58:24 PM by Hudnut »

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2024, 12:13:17 AM »
I store everything I have in a safe.  I display nothing.

Theft is a big problem out here.  Two of my close friends have had their entire collections stolen.  Over $100K in losses.  When workers see that you have guns word gets around and your guns are often stolen.  Even if caught the thief gets a slap on the wrist. 

Sturdy Safe of Fresno CA makes extra tall safes with real Greeley locks.  These are high end safes that provide real protection against theft.    A 1050# safe made of thick steel and bolted to the floor stops most thieves. 

Here in California, right or wrong, you are required to lock up your guns to be compliant with the law.  This is secondary to me after security.   Since I needed a safe anyway, I got the tall one to secure my MLs also. 

If I move to a different state the dream is to have a walk in secure gun vault. 

It would be nice to live where I could display my guns and leave the doors unlocked and rest easy.  That is not my reality. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2024, 04:33:55 PM »
There is a meth head infested trailer park about a mile down the county road I live on. I leave my modern firepower out and close at hand but my B/P collection (most of which I made) can't be replaced so this is my only good option. Double walled, 1500#, custom ordered and bolted to the joists under the floor.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2024, 08:29:55 PM »
Years ago I helped a friend in Stillwater OK build a gun room.  He had an extensive collection of long guns, mostly suppository, but about 25 were ML'ers.

The room, as I recall, was about 20' x 40'.  We built the walls first, a double concrete block wall.  The vertical holes had 1/2" rebar, 3 pieces each, extending into the foundation, then filled with concrete.  The ceiling was monolithic concrete pour adequately rebarred.  And the only door was an ex-bank vault door.

He had a umber

It was about the most secure "gun room" I've seen.  And my pay was a VW-powered dune buggy that I used throughout an Oklahoma winter to get to my classes at OSU, and my work testing soil samples for the state.  Good trade!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2024, 11:31:19 PM »
"The room, as I recall, was about 20' x 40'.  We built the walls first, a double concrete block wall. "

I like it!  How was the ceiling of the room made secure?

Scot

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2024, 11:39:47 PM »

molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2024, 01:22:24 AM »
My only displayed weapons are swords. Easy to hand. Not good against guns  but much superior to knives,  the weapon oh choice here in the Northern bush.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2024, 01:35:41 AM »
Can someone show an example of a folding sawhorse-style gun rack for display outside with no table available?
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2024, 02:43:20 AM »
O have one Rich , I might be able to text a pic to you tomorrow

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2024, 07:56:31 PM »

Mark Thomas

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2024, 08:40:04 PM »
Here Rich.

" not all who wander are lost"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2024, 10:28:59 PM »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mick C

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2024, 06:56:01 PM »

This was my solution. Very inexpensive. Just two 1x4s with routed edges and evenly spaced pegs, floor to ceiling. BTW, that's my little buddy Bentley lazing on the small sofa
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 07:37:42 PM by Mick C »
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline bpd303

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2024, 02:39:36 AM »
I also ran out of corners to stack long guns so I built two. One in the bedroom is made from a rough sawed cedar slab with hooks I forged out of old RR spikes, has a little more room to add more at the bottom. This picture doesn't show the TC Hawken above the elk rack.

The other one is a round rack I built out of scrap stuff, the base is from a man hole cover the city replaced and gave to me. It holds 12 long rifles. A cable lock through all the trigger guards keeps them secure.

Randy aka bpd303        Arkansas Ozarks

Train for tomorrow, as you never know what it will bring to the fight.
I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus