Author Topic: Roller percussion lock  (Read 930 times)

Offline rtadams

Roller percussion lock
« on: July 17, 2024, 01:35:37 AM »
7-16-24

I purchased the Roller percussion lock in 1966 and need to know what the lock plate material, AISI grade was used to make the plate. By the way, this lock is a work of very high quality in fit, finish and overall design and function. I say this since this lock was made long before CNC machining became available.
Note: If Mr. Roller sees this request and has time, would appreciate his comments since he made the lock so long ago.

Best Regards,

Robert

Offline Martin S.

Re: Roller percussion lock
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 06:25:10 PM »
You might PM him, and I am sure he will comment.  He may not have seen this thread.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 10:26:05 PM »
Here's the answer.Your lockplate is 1018 or MAYBE a cast steel one from a Hawken lock kit. I did use a cast plate but not many and the hammer was possibly part of that.In 1966 all the mechanisms were bench crafted and so was the last one in 2019.All the Hawken hammers were castings.The tumbler is 1144 oil hardened and the sear and fly are 0-1 but some sears were case hardened 1018.
Thanks for the inquiry and the remarks about the lock's workmanship.
Bob Roller

Offline rtadams

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2024, 12:39:22 AM »
7-17-24

Bob, thanks for the information.

Best Regards,

Robert

Offline duca

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 03:37:07 PM »
Wow! That’s amazing. 1966, I was 3 years old. Bob you really should sit down and write a book or at least sit for an interview. You have sooo much history to tell. I think it would be so interesting
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2024, 05:44:23 PM »
duca,
Thanks for the note.I am now 88.I have been asked to write a book but wouldn't know how to start.An interview,maybe.
I did help a history teacher now working in NC with her World War 2 format and aksed her if she ever met any veterans of that
great international shooting match.She said "Yes" and I asked her if she ever met one that was in the Kriegsmarine-Luftwaffe-Schwere Panzer..I plugged tje holes in her masters degree on that subject.My interest in muzzle loaders started in 1951 and now prefer the fine quality English types and have developed the ability to copy the fine locks they used.I have no plans to restart lock making even though I have material for both locks and triggers.My eyes are still good but my wife has some issues and I do't want to be 100 feet away in the shop if she fell.Her right knee is in bad shape and can't be replaced because of her age and the blood thinner she takes.
Bob Roller

Offline duca

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2024, 07:15:12 PM »
I hear ya Bob, hope she is doing well. getting old Sucks. maybe ian from I love Muzzleloading could sit down with you one day to do a little interview. That would be awesome!
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2024, 10:12:55 PM »
duca,
Thanks for the note.I am now 88.I have been asked to write a book but wouldn't know how to start.An interview,maybe.
I did help a history teacher now working in NC with her World War 2 format and aksed her if she ever met any veterans of that
great international shooting match.She said "Yes" and I asked her if she ever met one that was in the Kriegsmarine-Luftwaffe-Schwere Panzer..I plugged tje holes in her masters degree on that subject.My interest in muzzle loaders started in 1951 and now prefer the fine quality English types and have developed the ability to copy the fine locks they used.I have no plans to restart lock making even though I have material for both locks and triggers.My eyes are still good but my wife has some issues and I do't want to be 100 feet away in the shop if she fell.Her right knee is in bad shape and can't be replaced because of her age and the blood thinner she takes.
Bob Roller
How correct like yourself i have had all  those request thrown at me, but to be hornist for me  the mind is willing and the body is not .
Feltwad