Author Topic: Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle: Day 1  (Read 699 times)

Offline Denny Ducet

Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle: Day 1
« on: July 17, 2024, 05:29:24 AM »
https://youtu.be/st9D4k1NhnE?feature=shared

I’ve never built a rifle, let alone from a kit. I’m not necessarily one to attempt such an undertaking as the idea of destroying a grand worth of parts causes me pause. The Jim Kibler kit here sat for over a year and a half as I waited for the right time and gumption to attempt it. Luckily or better said, blessed I was to have a good friend from the Muzzleloader group take me under his wing to give me the necessary instruction on various techniques, cautions and methods, true wisdom on the fitting and putting together of a flintlock.

He’s a true gunsmith, who typically shapes the most beautiful rifles from raw timber, barrels and parts - all by hand.

He applauded the Kibler kits, the ease of assembly, and boy the little guide jig for the drill. The perfection of these kits is remarkable and there is no competition I believe. If there’s anything close to this in historic accuracy, precision detail, fit, and quality, do share.  The process was captured as much as possible on video, if anything for my benefit and those close to me so as to follow it again in building more kits from Jim Kibler Longrifles. 

There will be various videos on my assembly experience in working beside my friend Gene here and videos on the completed finished rifle itself when that time comes. For now, enjoy these shots of the other days work.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 07:26:17 AM by Denny Ducet »

Online Bill in Md

Re: Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle: Day 1
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 01:27:34 PM »
Perhaps you are selling yourself short with regards to your skills. In the past rifle "kits" required skills in shaping wood, metal, and brass, along with inletting skills and the use of block planes, draw knifes, scrapers, gravers and such.....In fact I believe the touch holes are even drilled and vented on the K kits. Outside of staining and finishing you won't be getting into to much hands on gun building and neither will your mentor but it will give you an opportunity to see a near complete rifle which will aid you in the future when and if you attempt to build a rifle from a plank which I recommend anyone calling himself a gunbuilder or stocker should do at least once.
The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 02:20:57 PM »
I noticed you wear a quality set of safety flippers. My choice is usually safety sneakers.  :o 8)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2024, 03:17:33 PM »
   Great music an video.... TY

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2024, 03:20:01 PM »
Nice video, thanks for posting.

Offline sa_handforged

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2024, 06:35:51 AM »
I knew it would be a great video with that Marty Robbins album in the opening shot!
Well done, looking forward to the next & next...