Author Topic: Gravers for brass parts?  (Read 877 times)

Offline Heidinnprudr

• Starting Member
Gravers for brass parts?
« on: July 23, 2024, 01:22:55 AM »
Hello all,

Would like to start engraving brass parts on my next rifle build. Having never engraved brass before I could use some advice on which graver cutter profile/degree would work best for vintage long rifle engraving on side plates and buutplates ect.

Thank you,

Offline Bill Raby

Re: Gravers for brass parts?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2024, 04:27:15 AM »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2024, 07:29:01 PM »
I have the Lindsay sharpening graver templets and find them to be GREAT and easy to use. Can't go wrong with them. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline JasonR

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2024, 08:47:05 PM »
https://www.nmlra.org/store/engraving-historic-firearms

Schippers is the best resource available. Focus on his elementary methods and techniques (ie. facets, geometry, sharpening, plunge cuts, borders, etc). Schippers writes in a very understandable manner. Raby's link for sharpening templates is what I've used for years. You'll start practicing on a flat surface, but keep in mind that real world engraving on longrifles is anything but flat-surface work, aside from lock plates, which can be difficult due to casting imperfections and hardness. Your goal should be to engrave eventually on concave, convex, round, and tight spaces on the gun itself. Planning your work for these challenging situations will be important. I hope another teacher like the late Tom Curran comes along - he was terrific.

Jason

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2024, 08:53:41 PM »
To start, just go with a V point, either 60 or 90 degrees, and one of the Lindsey sharpening templates to make sharpening easy on yourself.
Sharpening consistently is one of the most difficult skills to master, and the Lindsey templates make it simple, repeatable and easy.

Also, try both hammer and pushing the tool, to see which suits you better.

It's fun, but takes practice.
John
John Robbins

Offline Heidinnprudr

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2024, 11:45:37 PM »
Thank you gentlemen,

Have ordered the Schippers book and a set of basic gravers. Not too worried about sharpening, pretty keen at chisel and blade sharpening.

Yes JTR, hammer and push is the plan. Thanks

Offline kutter

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2024, 04:23:06 PM »
Sharpen them as you know how,,the one thing to do for gravers to be used expressly for cutting soft metals (brass, copper, gold, silver, etc) is to reduce the included angle of the face of the graver.

For most steel cutting, that face angle is generally anywhere from 45* to 55* included angle.
Everyone has their own preference and the type of steel can demand a change as well.
Cutting CRS and 12L14 is different than a difficult project like a Ruger#1 or Win21.

The soft metal cut very smoothly and clean with a much lower face angle. You will feel it when you cut either hammer & chisel or by hand graver.
Also the heel placed on the graver point doesn't need to be as long as that usually placed on the graver used for steel. It shouldn't be very long anyway as too long and the heel will drag around curves leaving the saw-tooth look on the outside of the arcs.
But a very slight heel will give less 'drag' on the soft metal as they can be somewhat sticky for lack of a better word when cutting them.
No need for an extra strong point in the soft metals, so no need as well for a large/long heel to strengthen the point.

Many engravers use a graver lube when cutting soft metals and it does help a lot.
It's mainly a Jewelry Engravers thing to use a graver lube, working on gold, silver, etc.
When I started engraving, Wintergreen oil was a common on the bench a graver lube. Worked well.
A bottle cap inverted with a cotton ball in it dampened with a couple of drops. Touch the point to the cotton then wipe it off(!),,that was enough for use.
I hardly ever use any graver lube anymore, but find myself wondering if I might try it again when working on some soft metal pieces in gold and the drag on the graver is definetly there.

Offline Heidinnprudr

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2024, 06:20:02 PM »
Thank you kutter