Author Topic: Funky Lehigh, not signed  (Read 1336 times)

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Funky Lehigh, not signed
« on: July 27, 2024, 11:05:54 PM »
Saw this at Kempton. As usual, forgot the full length view.

Andover, Vermont

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Funky Lehigh, not signed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2024, 11:12:15 PM »
Love it!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2024, 12:34:24 AM »
I was admiring that one earlier today too. There is also an “Indian” engraved on the patchbox lid too.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2024, 12:37:35 AM »
That's #19 on the KRA 2010 Lehigh CD.

I don't think it's a Herman (defintiely not) or John Rupp (probably not), and I'm positive it's not a Moll or a Neihardt.

I really have not been able to figure out a maker, and it's pretty darn unique while clearly emulating the 'pop' style of the Rupps/Molls.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2024, 01:00:02 AM »
In fact, to be blunt, I think it was made by someone north and west of Allentown - possibly over into eastern Berks - who was emulating the popular style of the Allentown area but was not entirely used to working in that style.  Kind of like, for example, if someone popped in on Stoffil Long with an Allentown rifle and said 'Make me one like this.'

Does this make sense?
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2024, 03:14:51 AM »
WOW, the cheekpiece engraving & carving remind me of an album cover from some '70s rock band.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2024, 10:02:06 PM »
Outstanding and about a folksy as they get.  $250 seems a little high though.  ;-)

Offline DaveM

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2024, 11:04:18 PM »
Funky - does not strike me as anstadt family eitherr.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 11:55:49 PM by DaveM »

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2024, 11:39:35 PM »
It looks like it could be a Jacob George

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2024, 12:35:42 AM »
You said it not me!   ;D ;D. I mentioned that about 5 years ago to someone and was laughed at...

But you seem to see what I'm trying to indicate - it looks like something made over in eastern Berks or NW of Allentown by someone *copying* what was the style in Allentown, but not quite used to working in that style.

I have no idea if it's Jacob George or not but I would bet some $$$ that the underlying concept is on the money.

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2024, 02:21:39 AM »
You said it not me!   ;D ;D. I mentioned that about 5 years ago to someone and was laughed at...

But you seem to see what I'm trying to indicate - it looks like something made over in eastern Berks or NW of Allentown by someone *copying* what was the style in Allentown, but not quite used to working in that style.

I have no idea if it's Jacob George or not but I would bet some $$$ that the underlying concept is on the money.

Yes, I see what you’re saying. George’s early work sure has the feel of the gun pictured. Here’s a signed Jacob George.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2024, 03:19:25 AM »
Frank,

What was the date on the George Rifle in the article?

I’d agree with Dave, as funky as it is, it’s not Angstat funky. I had to look twice at the carving above the thumb rest - it has some similarity to the Adam attributed rifles.

Buck

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2024, 03:25:14 AM »
Frank,

What was the date on the George Rifle in the article?

I’d agree with Dave, as funky as it is, it’s not Angstat funky. I had to look twice at the carving above the thumb rest - it has some similarity to the Adam attributed rifles.

Buck

Unfortunately I’m not sure of the date of the George Buck, anything I said would only be a guess.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2024, 04:06:03 AM »
If that Jacob George rifle is the one that was down at the Albany twp historical society years ago (I saw it down there at one of the local hist soc w/ Rich Hujsa  but now I forget which one it was), it's signed and dated 1817.  I think it's the same rifle.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2024, 03:07:57 PM »
What kind of patchbox did it have?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2024, 04:23:27 PM »
It's a brass box, typical Jacob George.  And it's definitely the same rifle.  1817.

George Shumway wrote up an article in MB around this rifle but I don't remember the issue.  Probably early 2000s.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2024, 05:07:42 PM »
Nifty. I'm especially inspired by the thickness of the trigger guard.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?