Author Topic: Second time on the padrone stock  (Read 589 times)

Offline ettoreR

Second time on the padrone stock
« on: July 31, 2024, 06:10:45 AM »
 Seeing as curly maple is hard to find here in ca, I was able to go to a mill and found that they had an entire pallet of padrone stock blanks for 100$ a pop. I got 2. The first became a rather pleasing southern gun that I inevitably broke the entire forstock off of beyond repair. This next blank was going well but as I inletted the barrel I found this massive void right in the center of where the forestock is. I'm about to pull my hair out, any ideas on a fix???

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Second time on the padrone stock
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2024, 01:55:11 PM »
Is this madrone or padrone? I’ve never heard of padrone. Either way, that hole is in a bad place for a patch.
Andover, Vermont

Offline ettoreR

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2024, 07:43:59 PM »
Madrone, my bad! and yeah im figuring that, I was going to go the route of filling it with epoxy, but im hesitant to do the work hewing the stock down only for it to snap in the exact same spot as the last one again

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2024, 08:26:42 PM »
I’d worry that epoxy might not really fill the hole. Who knows where it goes. I’d bandsaw the sides of the barrel channel now, at least on that side, to see where the hole ends up on the side. Is this on the breech or muzzle side of the entry thimble location?

Andover, Vermont

Offline ettoreR

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2024, 04:44:33 PM »
Good thinking, I'll saw it today, and the hole is on the lock side, about 6 inches ahead of the entry pipes future position

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2024, 04:58:42 PM »
Super glue and sawdust will fill the void and make it bullet proof. Like Rich said, see how far it goes first.

Here is nose cap inlet that I screwed up beyond the point of return, I built the inlet up with superglue and sawdust to start over. Ugly as can be but the area is hidden by the nose cap. The superglue and sawdust combination is like concrete, you can't cut it and have to file it.