Author Topic: Lock for a Fusil-de-chasse build  (Read 985 times)

Offline satwel

Lock for a Fusil-de-chasse build
« on: August 02, 2024, 03:27:56 AM »
RE Davis doesn't offer their French Fusil lock anymore and the Tulle lock at TOTW is out of stock. If I wanted to build a Fusil-de-chasse does anyone else offer an appropriate lock?

Thanks

Offline Heidinnprudr

• Starting Member
Re: Lock for a Fusil-de-chasse build
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2024, 03:32:48 AM »
Using the L&R trade lock on my French de chasse build. First time using a L&R lock, seems smooth enough.

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2024, 05:09:49 AM »
  maybe larry zorne??

Offline alex e.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2024, 06:41:10 AM »
There's always the rifle shoppe.....
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2024, 02:15:11 PM »
Ditto the Larry Zornes lock. My Clay Smith Type D French trade gun kit (via the Mold and Gun Shop) used one. It was nice.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2024, 05:32:39 PM »
DITTO Larry Zorne at M&G.  I have used several and all good locks that I used.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2024, 05:34:47 PM »
In all honesty/authenticity.
Anything labeled type d is probably  incorrect  for a fdc. I dont even need to look at it.
The Davis lock is passable at best but needs some junk taken off. The l&r is passable,  but not perfect.  Lacking in  size compared originals. The tow lock will fit in an original  lock mortise. The trs lock is made off an original  fdc,imperfections and as ll.
Put a wtb post in the message board.  Maybe  someone  will part with one.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2024, 05:40:04 PM »
DITTO Larry Zorne at M&G.  I have used several and all good locks that I used.

Authentically,  All but the Continentals  lock are inappropriate for a French fusil. The Continental is a good repro of a 1720s lock
Larry makes good locks,But I'd dispute  them for a 1730-50
gun.
Historical geeking over with...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 05:44:01 PM by alex e. »

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2024, 10:18:35 PM »
As to how authentic each style is, well that's way above my pay grade.  I just go by the name he has on them.  And was trying to help the man out.
Myself, I just try and make good usable safe and sound guns for hunters that are as historically accurate as I can get them, without going to extremes.  Guns that will fire, and that's where Larry's and the other good locks come in.
But I really do appreciate it when something is done historically correct, and if I was knowledgable enough I would strive for that.
But like I said in a different thread, I should have started this 40 years ago.  Had no money.  Now have a little money, can't see well enough.
But that's all another subject.

Offline JasonR

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2024, 07:21:29 AM »
Further to the O.P., perhaps I am missing something, but where are any of you seeing Larry Zorne/M&G anywhere online or doing business in the last few years? Online searches appear years old and outdated. REDavis/Log Cabin Shop mention him online but even they have not updated their website to match advertised items still shown on RE Davis since LCS became owners. My calls years ago asking when the website would be updated were met with lack of concern.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2024, 02:20:27 PM »
At Kempton Liz Kindig of the Log Cabin Shop had a variety of locks. I’d give them a call.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2024, 02:47:17 PM »
In February (2023) I called Larry at the Mold and Gun Shop and he sent me his catalog. 740- 286- 2743. Address is 6493 S.R. 139, Jackson, Ohio 45640.
He does not have a Website.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 02:54:46 PM by Bob Gerard »

Offline satwel

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2024, 04:24:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Yesterday, I did a google search and found Larry Zorne's phone number. He answered his phone and I asked for a catalog. He took down my name and address and said he would send me one.

Cheers

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2024, 06:39:46 PM »
 mr Zorne does not have a website or do online stuff. you have to call him.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2024, 07:29:47 PM »
Here are locks at the Log Cabin Shop.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2024, 09:43:53 PM »
RE Davis doesn't offer their French Fusil lock anymore and the Tulle lock at TOTW is out of stock. If I wanted to build a Fusil-de-chasse does anyone else offer an appropriate lock?

Thanks
Send me a PM. I can help. I got a Tulle I’m not going to need.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 09:52:43 PM by Clark Badgett »
Psalms 144

Offline eddietheteddie

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2024, 03:04:23 AM »
Satwel,

I just went through the process of deciding on building a fusil de chasse  of fusil fin (I choose to build a fin) and went with the M&G continental lock ordered through the log cabin shop this spring.  I bought the lock through them and called in the order since it isn't available on the the log cabin shop website yet.  I've only built a chambers colonial fowler kit with its round face english lock, but the m&g continental lock seems to be pretty nice, but it took about twice the time for me to clean it up.  Based on the various books I read in researching my fusil build, it doesn't seem like the m&g continental lock would be quite as historically correct for a fusil de chasse since its a bit fancier and has a bridle.  If that's something that concerns you I can provide some commentary on what books I used to research and point you in the direction of several helpful discussions here and on other sites.

I'll note that my lock looked the same as the picture posted above, with a defect below the pan that was difficult for me as a new builder to cleanup and maintain the delicate lines in that area.