Author Topic: Hard silver solder ?  (Read 678 times)

Offline Steeltrap

Hard silver solder ?
« on: August 09, 2024, 03:19:49 PM »
I don’t need to “fix” or “redo” anything at present, but I was wonder if it’s a good or bad idea to use SS to repair a stripped threaded hole?  Can a small hole either be “filled” with SS, or a piece of metal be SS in a hole, then redrilled and tapped again?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Hard silver solder ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2024, 03:34:50 PM »
Braze works and might wear in time if in a spot where the screw is often removed (tang of lock bolts). Otherwise it works great. But degrease and run a dry tap in first to make sure the braze will flow. If I need to do a repair I’ll sometimes braze in a section of screw and re-drill. I file little lengthwise scratches in the hole and on the screw threads for flow, or countersink on the non-shoeing side. Probably not necessary unless the screw is super tight in the hole. Brazing and riveting were used a lot for repairs.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Old and Grumpy

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2024, 04:01:09 PM »
Don't know about the silver. I have used JB Weld on non gun bolts and screws. When fully cured it can be drilled and taped. Or clean the hole and fill it with the JB Weld. Then coat the bolt with anti seze and screw it into the Weld before it cures. Let it cure for a week or more then back the bolt out. Should  :o leave good threads. Might want to clean up the bolt with fine wet dry paper first so it won't rip the new threads. With the Weld or any glue let it cure longer than the directions call for.

Offline BJH

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2024, 04:24:18 PM »
I don’t need to “fix” or “redo” anything at present, but I was wonder if it’s a good or bad idea to use SS to repair a stripped threaded hole?  Can a small hole either be “filled” with SS, or a piece of metal be SS in a hole, then redrilled and tapped again?

I’ve had good luck with soft soldering bolts into misplaced holes. Or in the case of stripped threads a larger bolt drilled an tapped and soldered in place. On my rebuilding a franken rifle thread I needed to do this extensively. BJH
BJH

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2024, 05:06:14 PM »
Silver soldering (hard silver solder) a plug in a hole is a very good fix.  I've done it lots for folks who have had mis-drilled lock bolt holes.  I think I even show a youtube video on the subject.

Jim

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2024, 07:00:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I found Jim's video here:  and began to watch it.

I started to laugh at the 2:22 minuet as Jim started to put the "filler screw" in the wrong hole. Now, granted he's explaining a whole lot and as a human he, like the rest of us will make a mistake if not 100% focused on the project. (Talking takes away from the job focus). My problem is I'd have put the screw in and kept going......age will do stuff like that to ya!! :o  Jim caught the almost mistake before moving on.

But again, thanks for the replies. It's all...always helpful!!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 07:04:41 PM by Steeltrap »