Author Topic: Curly tree  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Curly tree
« on: August 10, 2024, 09:45:03 PM »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Curly tree
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2024, 10:34:44 PM »
I came upon this tree while looking for the dogs a while ago.  Some pretty serious high rise curl.  I always enjoy seeing things like this.  Might be one of a thousand or couple thousand maple trees.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2024, 11:51:35 PM »
I found an ash tree that looked like that, but the bugs had got to it first.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2024, 04:16:44 AM »
cool!

Offline Tom Zack

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 03:05:06 PM »
Is this caused by some kind of virus or growing conditions?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2024, 03:51:39 PM »
I’ve seen silver maple with curl like that.

There are many theories on why curl appears in a few maple trees. Genetics and conditions are the favorites.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2024, 04:04:00 PM »
would it be possible to get anything usable from that big enough for rifles?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2024, 05:08:19 PM »
would it be possible to get anything usable from that big enough for rifles?

It's hard to say.  This tree was never a good saw log, but with some effort, you might have been able to get some stocks.  One thing to remember about maple is that you generally avoid the heart.  That is, you only want a stock to be made of sap wood (white wood).  The heart size can vary considerably.  It's hard to say how much heart this tree had, but I would guess it had a fair bit of white wood.  With curl like this, it would have been worthwhile to try to get what you could out of it.

Jim

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2024, 07:16:28 PM »
I do not know what causes this, be it genetics or environment. I know in conifers some trees have a genetic tendency for spiral grain, it has to do with the xylem cells (the wood part) tending to always divide to one side, causing a gradual turning/spiral in the grain. Maybe something similar going on in figured maples (or other species).

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2024, 07:39:01 PM »
I do not know what causes this, be it genetics or environment. I know in conifers some trees have a genetic tendency for spiral grain, it has to do with the xylem cells (the wood part) tending to always divide to one side, causing a gradual turning/spiral in the grain. Maybe something similar going on in figured maples (or other species).
I was thinking the exact same thing!  What are the odds? ;D

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2024, 07:43:39 PM »
I've not seen the studies, but I recall Wallace and Gary mentioning studies the Germans had done which pretty much concluded it to be a genetic condition.  These were to gather information for the musical instrument world. 

I do know that when you find one curly tree the likelihood of finding others in the general area is higher.

Some liken it to curly hair in people.  With modern advances, it would be neat if some more studies were done in this area.

Jim

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2024, 12:40:57 AM »
Would be interesting to see if trees could be engineered for grain pattern on purpose. There is certainly a precedent related to engineered food production.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2024, 03:46:26 AM »
Worth a try………if not, would make an interesting number of accessories.
Mike Mullins

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2024, 04:13:50 AM »
Or, let God do the work.
Just my opinion.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2024, 06:26:03 AM »
I have always felt it is a genetic trait.I know of one area where I have found a high number of curly red maples.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2024, 01:04:39 AM »
I remember Wayne Dunlop talking about wood at Kempton. Said it is also a matter of stress on a tree. Like if grown in rocky ground or nice earth. Plenty of water or struggled for a drink. Windy area or not. It all comes into play But nothing was garenteed.
Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Offline Gerald Conover

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2024, 06:40:59 PM »
Make two cuts 3 to 4 inch apart straight down the trunk as far as you can . Where root widens out cut as close to ground as you can get. That part is the butt stock .

Offline Rawhide Rick

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2024, 06:21:37 AM »
I spent too many hours this past summer clearing 2 huge maple trees that came down off the edge of my mothers lawn.  Both 24” or more at the base.  One was plain Jane wood, the other, loaded with curl.  Not quite like the tree above, but lots of curl.  Of course, I had chunked up almost all of it for firewood before I started splitting and realized what it was.  I’ve got some of the most attractive firewood you ever did see.

The trees grew side by side, virtually from the same stump, but the wood was as different as night and day.  I’ve cut up a few maples around here over the years and never noticed anything like the curly one before.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2024, 05:24:46 PM »
Mikey fire lock has it. You could make a lot of shooting boxes or presentation boxes, short starters, screw driver handles, knife handles, etc. 😉

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2024, 04:04:33 PM »
If that tree were in my yard, I’d be telling my wife what an eyesore it was and should be cut down and I could make her something nice out of part of it…..like a wooden spoon.   I am wondering if there are any other similar trees nearby ?   Or if it is producing any maple seeds…….might be a good long term project.
If there is a college with an agricultural school there, perhaps it would be of interest to them ?   Or if you can get any seeds from it, might be interesting to try propagating them.
Mike Mullins

Offline Old and Grumpy

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2024, 04:04:38 PM »
If it has any life left in it I would cut and graft shoots to a few young strong ones growing close to the parent. And leave a record of where they are for years down the road.