Author Topic: Input sought - An 'original' EARLY spiral fluted & swamped MZL barrel  (Read 612 times)

Offline Flint62Smoothie

A VERY interesting barrel, as I have yet to identify any other early arm that had such a spiral and swamped configuration, of such a long length, also with a hooked breech, having the touch hole be up at 12 o'clock or on top of the barrel, as early 'punk lit' hand gonnes or perhaps even the 1st serpentine-fired arquebuses were ignited.

My plans - as of now - are to make an early Landsknecht Mercenary-type Arquebus out of it, maybe of snap matchlock design. Also of note, although purchased from Italy, it does not necessarily imply that the barrel itself is of Italian origin. Seeking helpful input for a build! Shown against a typical T/C Thompson Center Renegade barrel just for scale.

Off-topic, but while the final bid price itself wasn't too high, it co$t me almost as much extra to export it to the US than the barrel cost itself. Italy also exported it as a 'complete gun', so there was a ton of extra unnecessary red tape and hurdles to also work through ...

« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 05:30:16 PM by Flint62Smoothie »
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline JH Ehlers

Re: Input sought - An 'original' EARLY spiral fluted & swamped MZL barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2024, 10:30:23 PM »
not very clear from the pictures but it looks like it could have been cast, is the breech plug screwed in?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2024, 10:40:44 PM »
Is that a rifling groove I see at 6 o'clock?
Sure looks like it, especially when enlarged.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 03:26:24 AM »
That’s very cool. Probably the biggest touch hole I have ever seen 😮