Author Topic: CVA Hawken Flintlock  (Read 415 times)

Offline bpd303

CVA Hawken Flintlock
« on: August 21, 2024, 12:43:11 AM »
I can't say I built this rifle, more like assembled (restored) it. It is a 50 caliber Flintlock. I wound up with a percussion barrel from a friends gun that I repaired because some fool drilled out the "clean out screw" so large that it weakened the bolster which snapped off. I saved the damaged barrel and replaced it with a new barrel from Deer Creek Products.

Over time I acquired enough parts to assemble a complete rifle. I drilled out and tapped the barrel bolster threads that were left and tapped it to accept a vent liner. I picked up the stock off eBay which was in pretty poor shape. I did a little reshaping and refinished it. Bought the lock at Deer Creek products. All in all I think it looks more like a traditional Hawken and it shoots very good.

Randy aka bpd303        Arkansas Ozarks

Train for tomorrow, as you never know what it will bring to the fight.
I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus

Offline Steeltrap

Re: CVA Hawken Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 01:03:07 AM »
Looks like it will make a dandy looking deer rifle. Hopefully your shooting groups will show that!!

Offline bpd303

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2024, 01:36:13 AM »
I actually finished this rifle in 2015, but the original pictures were on another computer that crashed, so I took these the other day.
I found the picture of the target on my phone so here it is. The group on the right was testing it and sighting it in offhand at 32 yards. The center 5 shot group was after sighting it in. The little holes in the target were from a different gun .223.
Back when I used to hunt I wouldn't have worried about using it one bit.

Edit had to reload picture.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 02:02:59 AM by bpd303 »

Offline Maven

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2024, 01:41:43 AM »
You did a great job restoring that rifle, bpd....
Paul W. Brasky

Offline bpd303

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2024, 02:04:12 AM »
Thank you...I like it a lot.

Offline Hawg

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2024, 06:52:22 AM »
You did a good job but it still looks like a CVA flintlock and nothing like a Hawken.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2024, 02:37:25 PM »
In all fairness, it's difficult to make a CVA or T\C Hawken look like a real Hawken. The first pic below is my T\C  Hawken acquired 1979. It now has a GM barrel, "Real" Hawken TG and DST's. I also installed a toe plate. I changed the trigger hardware as I simply got tired of looking at the factory TG.

Comparing that to the original in the second pic, not reproduction rifles labeled "Hawken" have two wedge keys. You could install two wedge keys but then you have to patch where the factory one is....and that's likely gonna show. Also, the nose cap would have to be redone to look like the original, and the BP would need replaced with one that looks like the original.....but would also have that "shoudler stabby" top design.

But, the T\C and the CVA are great tools for hunting or target shooting. And that was their purpose. Those rifles got more people into BP shooting than anything else.