Author Topic: Carving  (Read 912 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Carving
« on: August 26, 2024, 09:19:15 PM »
Carving I just finished up.  Whatcha think?  I think I might adjust things a touch, but getting there.

Offline Daniel Coats

Re: Carving
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2024, 09:34:22 PM »
I think I'm seeing a slight flat spot on the bottom of the front curve but definitely getting there. Overall I like it a lot!
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2024, 10:10:03 PM »
So this is  some relief carving I've been working on.  It's 100% CNC cut.  The only thing done prior to finishing it was to brush it with a fine wire brush and then buff it with some scotchbrite.

I've found relief carving to be very difficult to pull off with CNC equipment.  Without sharing too many intricacies, one of the big issues is CAD modeling such complex shapes.  I struggled with this for a while, but recently have figured out a pretty decent approach.  This was my first attempt at cutting a sample and I'm thrilled at how it's looking.

There are a few things from a design standpoint I'd like to work with and see how it looks.  A big one is to pull some of the weight and interest down somewhat in the design.  I think I'll try to add a secondary slight relief step in the big volute.  Sort of the feel of maybe the Antes gun or #42.  I don't want things to get too complex, but will give this a try. Besides this I'll work with line weight a bit, but think it's getting close.

Here's a couple more pictures.  First is of the CAD model.  And second is just another view.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2024, 10:12:00 PM »

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2024, 10:18:29 PM »
 very nice... you do wonderful things for those of us with little talent and / or time. thank you.i see good things coming  ;) :)

Offline HSmithTX

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2024, 12:45:11 AM »
Color me impressed.  As a CNC guy I have a good idea how difficult that is to model and having CNC'd some wood I am also impressed with the quality of the cuts and how well you have the tooling figured out to get cuts that clean.  Definitely well done.

Online Daryl

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2024, 01:30:20 AM »
Looks great to me. :o
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2024, 03:38:39 AM »
It reminds me of your carving practice kit, which I like so much that I have copied it on to  several rifles. 

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2024, 03:49:22 AM »
I like that carving better than your other CNC carvings.  Well done, and looks more "hand made".

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2024, 06:38:54 AM »
Nifty.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2024, 02:51:39 PM »
Bingo!

Offline JBJ

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2024, 03:05:19 PM »
What a blend of art and technical execution! Well done, sir.

J.B.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2024, 03:07:33 PM »
That looks very nice.  I think it has the warmth of hand-cut work and should be a nice compliment to the gun.  I can only imagine how challenging it is to do on CNC equipment.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2024, 05:09:59 PM »
pretty
Galations 2:20

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2024, 05:53:46 PM »
  I like this more simple approach. Only item I didn't care for on the other carving was the hash marks. But that is only for my tastes. Nothing to do with your abilities to do this by the CNC process. Which I'm really impressed on how you have accomplished this...! I have carving talent like a beaver with two chipped teeth...!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2024, 06:10:44 PM »
Thanks everybody.  The biggest difference between this carving and the other we offer is that this is relief.  Actually with this design it's a combination, which is very typical.  In my view relief carving is so much nicer, but certainly more difficult to pull off.  I'll be working to adjust this and then move to other areas of the stock (comb, lock moldings, tang carving, toe line etc.).  It's going to be a long process, but worth it in my view.

As to looking hand made, I think it is very believable.  That is comparing what this design would look like if I hand carved it versus how it currently looks.  With some tweaks it  should look even better.  One thing I may try to consider is incorporating subtle background texture you see in chisel cut work.  Not exactly sure how to accomplish it, but I'll be thinking about it.

Thanks again,
Jim

Offline HSmithTX

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2024, 06:27:53 PM »
Small bull nose endmills and the 4th slightly off angle could probably put believable texture in the relief,  programmable spindle orientation would give you the ability to scrape as well.  That could look amazing.  Excited to see the next iterations!!!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2024, 09:05:08 PM »

As to looking hand made, I think it is very believable.  That is comparing what this design would look like if I hand carved it versus how it currently looks. 

Thanks again,
Jim

After following your work for years this is what I've been telling everyone who poo poos your incised Woodsrunner.
Just because most people's carving can be distinguished from CNC with a glance it doesn't mean that your work can be that easily discerned.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2024, 11:07:33 PM »
Thank you everyone.  I sure do appreciate it.  Thanks to James Rogers as well.  I think he has explained things pretty well.

Jim