Author Topic: A couple shot pouches  (Read 343 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

A couple shot pouches
« on: September 21, 2024, 06:50:47 PM »
Getting back in the saddle, so to speak, now that most medical issues are subsiding starting getting the itch to get back in the workshop.   Anyway here's a couple shot/ball pouches recently completed from veg tanned cow, turned spouts from cocobolo and claro walnut using clothespin stoppers from ebony and cherry.  The one on the left is approx 7" tall and the smaller one Is approx 5 5/8". 
Gary

More to come:

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline bigsmoke

Re: A couple shot pouches
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2024, 08:39:23 PM »
Looking good, Gary.
Glad to see you are feeling better and "back in the saddle".
I keep thinking I am going to get back to it myself, but things always seem to get in the way and slow down my progress.  Now I am going to have to wait until I get back from vacation to finish clearing out a shed and moving my equipment into there.  Hmmm, maybe next year?  Better do it before I get too old and fragile to move that heavy stuff.
John

Offline DougS

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2024, 10:20:38 PM »
Great looking shot pouches Gary!

Always a pleasure seeing your work sir.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Doug

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2024, 01:15:24 AM »
Gary I have to restrain myself every time I see the usual shot bags with the side seam going all the way across the bottom of the bag. I had several of those blow out and fill the weeds with shot. So glad to see somebody making shot bags like the ones I make for myself. I usually run the neck of the bag long enough to fold them back over the thread that holds the wood, or antler, neck in place. Love your work.

Hungry Horse

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2024, 02:09:00 AM »
John good to hear from you again.  Enjoy your retirement, every day and have fun. Then boom you'll be missing the fun in the workshop and be back in the saddle again.  And say Hi to Linda for me.  Doug thanks for the shout out and Hungry Horse thanks for the encouragement.  I just did a couple of days ago to make a pattern with a longer neck to do just as you mentioned, except to make the fold over into fringe.  Haven't decided yet what leather to use.  Perhaps a piece of barktanned  deer or bear.
For the past couple of years spent much time researching, getting new books, etc.  Karl Smith's book, 'Gettin' The Lead Out' is gettin' the worn look already :)
Appreciate all the comments guys.
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2024, 05:17:24 AM »
Glad to hear your feeling better !!

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2024, 01:52:46 PM »
Keep getting better.  You ain't hurting for good looking stuff...

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2024, 03:54:58 PM »
 Glad your working back into things. The bags look great, you haven't lost the touch.

Tim