Author Topic: My first horn build  (Read 281 times)

Offline Sudsy

• Starting Member
My first horn build
« on: October 03, 2024, 07:32:10 AM »
Nothing here even close to the work I've seen posted on this site but it's my first attempt and I want to document it so I can come back in 10 years (God willing) and see how far I've progressed

Started out a few days ago with a clean and scraped horn

Filed out 7 flats around the base and a pair of rings where I'll tie off the strap. Put a few dots around the edge (had to hide a chip)
Carved a flat back to fit the odd shaped end of the horn. Made a place to tie off a strap.
Sanded and polished

Decided to put a brass tip on it. Made it out of one of these plumbing fittings that are used to attach tubing to stuff I think its called a UNF threaded long rod nut.
Ground off the flats, polished it up, left it a matte finish. Cut threads onto the tip of the horn (first time doing that) and screwed it on tight

Today I decided to learn the art of bending horn
Filed off the attachment hole thing I was going to use to tie the strap onto the horn

Turned a hardwood cone to shape the end which was oval (ish) - I needed it to be round

Heated vegetable oil in a coffee can to 250 degrees, took the can off heat and let about 5" of the wide end of the horn sit in the oil for about 10 minutes to get pliable.
Shoved the cone up there and let it sit until cool

While that was cooling I turned a new cap with an acorn finial where I'll tie off the strap.
During the final touching up the #$@& tool caught (you can see the line in the photo, can't really see it in real life) and the whole piece flew off the lathe, always a lot of fun. The tip of the acorn is where it broke when it flew off, so I made a tiny tip out of a bit of brass bar. I think that came out pretty good, so far the only part I'm really happy with.

Also made my first attempt at checkering on the cap of the acorn. My hat is off to the guys who do some of those amazing checkering jobs, it's not easy.

Attached the cap with 11 brass nails

Now I have to make the plug for the pouring end, need to work a taper into the brass tip so the plug will seal and hold, haven't figured that part out yet.
I might cut threads in the brass tip and then make a plug out of Brazilian rosewood and cut threads in that. Stuff is as hard as granite, should hold threads well.

Sand sand sand to get the rest of the scratches out of the cap. I'm holding it in my hand right now and you really can't see them, but now that the camera showed me they are there I'm not going to be able to live with it.

After its fully sanded, about 10 coats of TruOil and a lot of buffing

Last thing to do is learn how to do scrimshaw to put a design and my name around the top of the horn.

I'll add to this thread as I go.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2024, 07:40:47 AM by Sudsy »

Offline Sudsy

• Starting Member
Re: My first horn build
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2024, 07:18:12 AM »
Decided to thread the spout and began making a threaded antler plug
The threads are cut in the spout, the plug is threaded and roughed out, I'll be working on shaping it tomorrow.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2024, 02:49:36 PM »
Ambitious first build! Lots of creativity going on there. Will you have to unscrew the plug to fill your measure? Will the threads catch powder and get clogged?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Sudsy

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2024, 05:26:57 PM »
Ambitious first build! Lots of creativity going on there. Will you have to unscrew the plug to fill your measure? Will the threads catch powder and get clogged?

Yes, the horn will refill through the spout

And I have no idea, never thought of the threads clogging. I hope not !
Might have to carry a little bottle brush just in case.

Offline Sudsy

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2024, 08:35:10 PM »
Shape of the plug is roughed. I'll engrave it after I fill it and check to see that it's going to work.
Added some embellishment around the edge of the wood cap, needed something.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2024, 12:03:28 AM »
To fill your horn, find a cartridge case whose neck will fit into the opening of your horn's spout.  Drive out the primer from the inside with a 1/16" nail on a dowel or a punch.  Drill the case head out so powder twill flow easily, ie:  5/16"  and clean off the rest of the head with sandpaper.  Remove the steel cap from a discarded empty powder can, and clean off the paint with sandpaper.  Drill a corresponding hole in the lid and solder the brass shell to the lid.  You now have a powder funnel that will fit into your horn and with a full can of powder attached, inverted, the powder will flow easily into your horn until either the can is empty or the horn is full.  Be carefull separating the can from the horn so you don't spill powder.  Replace the new funnel cap with another powder can cap to store, and Bob is your father's brother.
I have these lids made for every sized horn I possess including very tiny ones for priming horns whose funnels are made from .17 cal rim fire shells.  I also have a lathe which makes creating them very easy and precise.  Once I silver solder the shell onto the tin lid, I simply chuck the shell in the headstock and centre drill the lid which automatically centres the hole in the lid with the one in the shell.
I'd remove the threads from the horn's brass tip, ream a taper, and whittle a new peg out of pine or spruce to fit the brass.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Sudsy

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2024, 01:59:31 AM »
Remove the steel cap from a discarded empty powder can, and clean off the paint with sandpaper. 

Showing some age here, been quite a while since I saw a can that wasn't plastic.