Author Topic: Facing the tumbler when assembling a lock from a set of castings  (Read 4123 times)

Rich Jakowski

What’s the best way to face tumbler axles and sides when assembling a lock from a set of castings? I’ve seen Steve Wardlaw’s excellent website showing the assembly of a Manton V pan lock from a set of Rifle Shoppe castings in which he turned his tumble with a method used by clock makers. He centered and turned the tumbler by holding it to a section of 1 inch diameter brass rod with hard wax as show in this photo from his website.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/mantonlock/manton_pics/tumbler_axle_turn.jpg

I was wondering how other folks on this forum perform this operation. Could a proper sized  collet allow centering and turning of the tumbler just as well?

Any help appreciated

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Facing the tumbler when assembling a lock from a set of castings
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 12:14:21 AM »
Hi Rick,
I spin them by the axle at slow speed in a wood lathe fitted with a 4-jaw chuck.  I use fine files and sandpaper backed by a wood or metal block to polish the faces.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

dannybb55

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 12:22:45 AM »
I wonder how Eric Kettenberg does it in his cozy shop? What is the old way?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:26:50 AM »
I do all the machining in collets.  If necessary, I use "emergency collets" and bore them to the required size.  I hold the rough cast main shaft first and turn the tail shaft clean and to size.  Then turn it around, holding the tail in the appropriate size collet, drill and tap for the cock screw and countersink slightly.  Then bring up a long nose live center and place it in the screw hole countersink and turn the main shaft and face of the tumbler (and a raised anti friction ring, if desired).  Turn the tumbler around one more time and finish off the back face and anti friction ring.  Takes 10 minutes in a lathe.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 12:55:25 AM »
If you don't have a lathe another possibility is to take the tumbler and chuck it in the drill press and use a file or emery to finish the axle and sides of the tumbler. This method will clean and polish but won't correct any runout on the axle. Quick and simple though.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 01:08:22 AM »
Do a search of the archives.

This showed up: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=973.msg10088#msg10088

But you need a lathe for this.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

fix

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »
I did the drill method for mine. Chucked it up in a drill that I mounted in a vise, used a safe file to get it close to size and smooth everything up, and then polished it with emery cloth.

Might not be the best method, but it seems to have worked.

I did manage to pick up a lathe since then, but it will be a while before I get it working. Perhaps the next one will get turned on the lathe.

Offline chris laubach

• Marietta, Pa
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 01:34:07 AM »
What is the old way?

A Tumbler Mill.

Chris Laubach

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 02:01:25 AM »
You really need a lathe for this kinda work.
Even a little cheap bench top lathe from Harbor Freight etc will do pretty well. The other option, if you don't want to buy communist stuff, is to buy one of the old American 7 or 9 inch lathes Atlas etc.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Rich Jakowski

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:28:25 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I've used the drill press method in the past and also rigged something on a wood lathe to turn a few tumbers, but neither of these seem to produce truely concentric font and rear tumbler axels in my opinion.

I do have a Harbor Freight 7 X 10 mini lathe which I purchased a few years back. I've had lots of fun with it - does a great job on small lock screws. The head stock spindle has a 3 MT in it when the chuck is removed so I'm going to order a set of small collets which should allow more precise tumbler facing and turning.