Author Topic: Question about Lehigh forearm  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Gary Tucker

Question about Lehigh forearm
« on: January 09, 2010, 03:50:12 AM »
I am in the process of building an 1800ish Lehigh Valley rifle and have a question about the forearm.  I know that from the entry thimble forward that there is a definite V shape, but what the lower forearm?  Is there the normal rounded shape or is there a sharper radius on the bottom?  Does it vary in different areas of the region?
Gary Tucker

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Question about Lehigh forearm
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 05:19:49 AM »
I built a Jacob Kuntz rifle using documentation form two in the MET, generously provided by Tom Curran and Eric Von Aschwege (sp?)  The forearm on the rifle is rounded just forward of the lock, rather elliptical being deeper than wide.  The stock is rounded right up to a knife edge at the barrel channel.  As you move forward toward the entry pipe, the forearm becomes more "V" shaped, but still has rounded sides.  The upper forearm is very "V" shaped, but there is about 1/8" of wood thickness at the apex of the transition into the rounded part to the barrel channel.  Be careful not to make the forearm too thin prior to shaping the "V".
On other Lehigh rifles I've had the privilege to study, the lower forearm is quite rounded.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:54:59 PM »
Taylor, thanks so much for the info.  I think I understand what your telling me.  I do have a tendency to cut the forearm very thin before I start to shape it.  This is the first Lehigh I've built since the 70's and back then the info was pretty slim back here in Ky. about  those rifles.  Thanks again.
Gary Tucker

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »
If you think info is thin in Kentucky, try to find some in Northern Central British Columbia.  One needs to make pilgrimages to Pennsylvania if one wants to study original work, or at least to our own fabulous Virtual Museum.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 08:21:09 PM »
One more thing...if you want authenticity, you must build what you see - not some impression you perceive.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 11:43:08 PM »
You are absolutely right.  My wife and I usually go to Pa. every year on vacation and I look at all the guns I can.  It's a good thing my wife likes to visit museums too.  I've made it to the Gunmaker's Fair twice and got to see a lot.  I do like to stay within authentic boundaries when I build a gun.
Gary Tucker

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 12:46:15 AM »
Taylor is on the money for the Kuntz rifles, and as I recall, other Lehigh guns by Kuntz's contemporaries (1810ish) also had a somewhat more V section in the lower forestock than other guns I've seen.  Not much, mind you, but just enough to notice... It's still primarily round-ish.  The "average" Lehigh guns definitely have a pronounced "heart" shape in the forestock.  Best,
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com