Author Topic: TVM(Matt Avance) Early Virgina Questions  (Read 20146 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: TVM(Matt Avance) Early Virgina Questions
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 07:41:28 PM »
By the way, since I haven't embarrassed myself yet today, I keep meaning to ask...what is meant by the letters ATF in references to barrels in this thread?

( I'm assuming it's not Alcohol, Tobbaco, & Fax  or  All Terrain Flintlocks ;D )

Across the flats

C. Cash

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 12:07:45 AM »
Daryl,  my scale is psychotic, but I think between 8.8 and 9 lbs. 

A swamped barrel is sure a delight to hold.  I think I would go that way if I were to do it all over again.

billd

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:26 AM »
Automatic transmission fluid!   Or it could mean across the flats too.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:42:27 AM by billd »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 02:05:15 AM »
It really does depend on what you personally like. I've had customers that preferred straight muzzle heavy barrels and price had nothing to do with it. Others that wanted the lightest possible swamped barrel.  You can also consider shortening the 1 in. ATF to say 39 in.
In my case (being a little old) I still like my nose heavy 15/16th .45  39 1/2 in long straight for offhand, X stix, bench and sometimes chunk.  I did counterbalance the ol gal a couple or 3 yrs ago to help dampen the shivers... ;D

C. Cash

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 03:24:47 AM »
It really does depend on what you personally like. I've had customers that preferred straight muzzle heavy barrels and price had nothing to do with it. Others that wanted the lightest possible swamped barrel.  You can also consider shortening the 1 in. ATF to say 39 in.
In my case (being a little old) I still like my nose heavy 15/16th .45  39 1/2 in long straight for offhand, X stix, bench and sometimes chunk.  I did counterbalance the ol gal a couple or 3 yrs ago to help dampen the shivers... ;D

Roger, you da man!!!!!!!! ;D

octagon

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 04:30:46 AM »

Roger, it seams your .45 with the 15/16" barrel would kinda like me getting a .54 with 1" barrel? I meen .45 is .005 down from a .50 amd a .54 is .004 down from a .58. If that`s the case, I should be fine with the .54 with a 1" ATF barrel-I think ;D

C. Cash

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 05:32:19 PM »
If you could find someone on this board in your region, with the straight sided 42"L 15/16"ATF  54 cal., you could get an idea as to wheter anything bigger would be appropriate, of if it feels right.  I would also try a swamped barrel of the appropriate size, length and caliber.  If interested, post your region and maybe you could get linked up. I am in Central PA and would be glad to let you play around with the straight sided Early Lancaster.  Would be glad to let you make smoke with it as well.

jbtusa

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 06:00:06 PM »
Go with the lightest barrel you can find.  In that length, carrying a straight barrel for any length of time will ruin the experience for you; too heavy.  Also, go with the rounded rifling.  It loads and cleans so much better.  You'll love round rifling! 

octagon

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 08:34:49 PM »
I am definitely getting round rifling :) I am in Pittsburgh,PA.

Thanks-Jack

chapmans

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 06:22:08 AM »
Octagon,
   I have a .54 fullstock flint 1" across the flats at least 42" long, I will weigh it tomorrow (Tues) it is not too heavy for me but then my off hand rifle weighs 13 pounds, I'm used to shooting heavy rifles, I like the way the .54 hangs, if you are used to a heavy rifle you will like it. Most guys that only hunt pick up my rifles and can't believe I shoot them off hand, I've found the more you shoot the heavier the rifle you want, my first serious target rifle weighs 9.5 pounds and feels like  squirrel rifle to me now, I've probably put 40,000 rounds through it since 1980.
   Regards, Steve Chapman

octagon

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 09:27:47 AM »
Cool Steve!! My H&R BC 45/70 weighs 8 pounds and it feels very light to me. My T/C Hawken .50 flinter has a T/C 31" 1:66 replacement barrel on it and feels about a pound heavier than the BC and I can still handle it. I wonder what a US Sprinfield 50/70 weighs without bayonet? I love my brothers, but that is the heaviest rifle I have carried to date.

Jack

chapmans

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 04:14:38 PM »
Jack,
   I weighed the rifle this morning, it weighs 10.5 pounds, it is muzzle heavy but it all depends on what you're used to. I measured the barrel, it is 42" long. Hope this helps.  Here is a pic.
 Regards, Steve Chapman

C. Cash

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
Jack,  let me know if your coming through this way, and you can play with this one.   Go Penns!

Steve, Beautiful rifle.  :o
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:11:18 PM by C. Cash »