Author Topic: ram rod hole?  (Read 4512 times)

chuck-ia

ram rod hole?
« on: January 10, 2010, 08:59:16 PM »
I am building a trade gun, have the barrel inlet, and just drilled the hole. Not real happy with how it turned out. I was shooting for a 3/16" to 1/4" web at the breech and ended up at 3/8" (web) and the hole is off to the right side of the stock probably 1/16" to 1/8", (from center of barrel) I don't think the hole being off a tad to the right is a problem. What do you guys think? I could take the barrel down a bit I guess. I guess if I leave it as, I should have plenty of room for the front lock screw. Suggestions? chuck

Offline Pete G.

Re: ram rod hole?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »
Lower the barrel just a little bit. After all we are talking about 1/8";that is at the breech and will taper to nothing at the rear pipe. I would think a scraper could do this in just a few minutes. I am assuming your lock is not inlet yet, correct? Be careful of any issues that might raise.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:26:03 PM »
I would probably just leave it where it is.  You can inlet the barrel down a bit if you want.  I had to do this on a Brown Bess precarved stock from Bob Lepley once.  I had to lower the barrel because the lock inlet was already cut and there was no way to seal the bottom of the pan/bolster to the round barrel.  I would of had to file way too much flat on the lock side of the barrel to keep the powder from falling out of the bottom of the pan. 
I would be more worried about the ramrod hole being off to the right and interfearing with the mainspring, unless it is a lefty, then slightly off center can be a good thing.
DMR

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
I would lower the barrel inlet if you can.

As to being off to the right, this has happened to others way before you; this builder just accepted it and moved on with the build. Est. ca 1770.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

chuck-ia

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:43:54 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I double checked the hole and am about .279, (close to 9/32". for web thickness at the breech. But the hole is still about an 1/8" off center to the right. I guess I will have to see what happens when I start to inlet a col. virg. lock.  I hate breaking into the ram rod hole though. thanks, chuck

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:59:01 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I double checked the hole and am about .279, (close to 9/32". for web thickness at the breech. But the hole is still about an 1/8" off center to the right. I guess I will have to see what happens when I start to inlet a col. virg. lock.  I hate breaking into the ram rod hole though. thanks, chuck
Breaking in to that rr hole is no big deal and often happens -around here at least!  Taper the rod then if needed.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:00:13 AM by Roger Fisher »

Offline BJH

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:53:12 AM »
By all means lower the barrel channel if you can to 5/32. Trade guns were among the skinniest of the skinny. !/32" extra wood  WILL be noticeable and show up on the finished gun. I would not sweat too hard if the mainspring mortise joins the ramrod channel. It's a common thing with the big locks.  BJH
BJH

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 12:51:09 AM »
Chuck, I'll take a different stance.  Often, because one of my ramrod holes wanders towards where the lock mortise will be and I'm feeling uncomfortable about it , I'll often plug the hole and redrill it on my jig.  I go slower the second time around though by making cuts only half as deep as normal.  Have done this a few dozen times over the past 38 years.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

chuck-ia

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 02:39:59 AM »
Bookie, I have thought about that allso. I keep coming up with the bit will just follow the original hole. I double checked my measurements before drilling, don't know what happened. I am thinking about going down with the barrel a bit, maybe when my col. virg. lock gets here, I can lay it against the barrel and and see where the main spring will be, and get an idea if I will break through. According to most here it is not a big deal. I am just an amatuer and don't know any better. This is just my 3rd gun from a blank, I seem to have a problem with what is good enough and moving on. I doubt I will ever make a perfect gun. Would still love to come for a visit sometime, you are only probably less than 3 hours away. thanks, chuck

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 06:05:32 AM »
C'mon over, Chuck.  You can use the jig and I'll even furnish the plug.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

chuck-ia

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »
Thanks for the offer. If I decide to come for a visit, I will let you know ahead of time. chuck

California Kid

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 10:44:05 PM »
I went through this not long ago. Inletted the barrel 3/16" deeper and it turned out fine. As to being too close to the mainspring, it depends in part how big the breech of your barrel is. If you plug the hole you might run into the plug when shaping the forestock and you are back where you started with possibly having to add a wear plate anyway. You can get away with an 1/8" under the hole at the breech, or a little less. Make sure you know exactly where the existing hole is and go from there. Good Luck

chuck-ia

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 03:55:33 AM »
California Kid, good advice, thanks