Author Topic: Dave Rase barrel and ramrod inlet  (Read 6840 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Dave Rase barrel and ramrod inlet
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:25:48 PM »
Just a quick message to sing the praises of one of our board members.

A couple of weeks ago, I sent a plank to Dave Rase to inlet a swamped barrel and ramrod channel and hole for a new Lehigh I'm working on.

I put the stock in the mail on December 21st, and got it back at my house on Jan 6th. This included shipping in both directions.

I got absolutely the most beautiful, perfect fit barrel channel for an oddball swamped barrel, ramrod channel and hole, forestock cut to mid barrel flat and mid ramrod channel.    And absolutely perfect fit!!!  I doubt you could get a razor blade between the barrel and wood at any point.

Wow!!  Nice work, great guy.

In His grip,

Dane

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Dave Rase barrel and ramrod inlet
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:55:01 AM »
told ja!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:47:04 AM »
Just got one back from Dave myself, and I gotta say it's so very nice and clean and precise. Most excellent work. I am very pleased with the quality of his work. I think where he really shines is his careful and exact placement of the ramrod hole.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:48:26 AM »
There aint any thin Dave does half way. He is always putting perfection first in every thing he touches. He is my go to guy for putting swamped barrels into wood, ram rod holes drilled where they are spose to be every time. Last one he did for me, he had drawn out on the blank where the web space was and the profile of the rod channel at the breach so it made placing the front lock bolt real easy. I am glad to see you guy's are keeping him busy.  
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 05:57:05 AM »
I think Rase wants to have something to do when he 'retires'... he may not be able to retire if he keeps this up.

If I have a touchy piece of wood, or a very tricky layout, it's going to go to Dave. I can trust he'll get it spot-on.

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:21:05 AM »
Dave has done a few for me and I can tell you there is none better. Everything is where it is suposed to be, very precise and clean.

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:36:21 AM »
Another big "Thumbs Up" from me. Dave inlet the swamped barrel and drilled the ramrod hole on my present build...I live reasonably close and delivered the blank to him. He did the work while I waited and did an absolutely perfect job. Dave will be getting my business from now on. A great guy to deal with!

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 04:22:01 PM »
If any of you barrel inletters would please move to Iowa I would be eternally grateful. Shipping stocks to one coast or the other is killing me financially.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 05:15:19 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for all the kind words.  As Acer says, this is going to be my retirement job.  I have been inletting barrels for about 8 or 9 years.  I am less than a year away from being eligible to retire, don't know if I will go out exactly when I am eligible but it will be close.  I am now just starting to work on stock carving.  I have carved a few on special occasion with my machine but have stayed away from that aspect of the business, reason being is that if I carved stocks I would not have any David time.  I want to add precarving to my list of services and promised myself I would not do that until I neared retirement. 
Mike, you are so right, shipping is a killer.  It is almost embarrassing what the companies charge to ship.  When I give a stock to the shippers they used to just weigh it and charge me for what it weighed.  Now they measure the length, width and thickness and squeeze every dime out of me (my customer) they can.
Thank you all once again for the nice words and the business.  It is always a pleasure to get you started on that next project.
DMR

warmutt

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
Mr. Rase, do you currently have a website, or some other way to contact you for pricing and shipping information?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 10:02:30 PM »
I omly have one Dave did, but I can tell you it is perfect!!  I don't know who else does this for a living, but Dave Does them well!  Can't complain about the barrel fit etc on a kit I got from Jim Klein, but I don't think he offers the service as Dave does.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 10:08:26 PM »
Dave, when you get your RV fitted out with the inletting and carving shop, give me a heads up before your national tour. Please swing thru NY before you hit PA. I'll have a half dozen stocks waiting for you. Think of all the shipping you're gonna save us!  ;D