Author Topic: On any Sunday...  (Read 28784 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
On any Sunday...
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:44:35 AM »
We're having a warm snap with temperatures above the freezing mark.  So ten of us came out to shoot the trail today, and here we are (were).
Guns...three serious flint .40's, a flint .50, percussion .54, and a bunch of jovial smoothbores.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:45:23 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

roundball

Re: On any Sunday...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:06:06 AM »
Great picture...hope the time you all had matches the photo !
 :)

C. Cash

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »
It looks as if you are a very blessed man to have a gaggle of friends like that.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:21:29 AM »
  Good thing a bunch of us kept our hats on or this pic would surely have been totally overexposed! eh Daryls? Hey, try and wear some colorfull clothing for our next photo op! Hunting season is over! LOL! Boy, you guys look humdrum! 'cept me,Crispy and Hachet Jack.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:12:16 PM »
I gotta tell ya, that's what this game is all about!!! ;D

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »
Indian Head target- round face,w ith eyes, nose, mouth and a feather. Easy, even for a smoothbore - about 60 yards.  I was going to wear my hunting frock - but my 'tights'  ::) were in the wash.  ;D

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:55:56 AM by Daryl »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 09:21:09 PM »
I guess, then, nobody's trigger finger froze.  ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

California Kid

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 12:44:01 AM »
Is that the Donner Party again? They look familiar, HA, HA

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 02:57:59 AM »
...the Donners or the Blitzens!  We were all overdressed for the weather.  Today is sunny and +9 C.  Unreal.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 05:32:18 AM »
Rather than start a new thread, I have simply added today's shooting pics to this old thread.  Same old faces plus a few new ones including a 15 year old lad with his first rifle, a .54 cal Lyman GPR in percussion.  He didn't miss many...I think we're in trouble.  We had 14 shooters today, which is the most we're had for a lot of years on a Sunday fun shoot.  Today, there were three smoothbores and the rest were rifles, both flint and percussion. 
We've been enjoying above freezing temps for a while so no one got cold and all had a great day.
If I'm posting too much of this perhaps one of the regulators can let me know.  I hope you enjoy the shots...no group shot today.

D. Taylor Sapergia

California Kid

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 05:51:57 AM »
The Donner Party survivors!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 08:38:13 AM »
The Donner Party survivors!
Thas why they call me "Liver Eatin' Johnson". hehe
  Great turnout today! Best in a long time.  Nicest shot I saw today was Daryl's card split. A thirty two caliber Tenn.Mtn. rifle. Some memorable 'limericks' were recited, great fun, camaraderie by all.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:59:56 AM by Leatherbelly »

California Kid

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 08:51:36 AM »
AH!, the truth comes out from one of the actual survivors! Better call the networks for an exclusive interview!

Buffler Razz

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 02:31:49 PM »
Taylor,
Thank you for sharing your shoots with us through your posts and pictures. They make me wish for a shooting club in this area offering the same fun, but alas it is not the poeple that truly make the party. Fortunately I am able to spend my Sunday mornings shooting with a great group of traditional archers, the next best to my smokepoles. Thanks again!
Razz

northmn

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »
That is what makes the hobby fun, little get togethers like that.  I remember one shoot in the spring where you paid 50 cents for a target and the winners split the take with the club.  Great fun but some just got where they wanted to camp and not shoot.  Funny how 9 degrees in January does not feel like 9 degrees in October.  We get pretty toughened in.  By spring 50 degrees is down right balmy.

DP

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 06:01:05 PM »
We had a great day- all made wonderful shots - all made shots not so wonderful - just as it goes most of the time.  Really nice to see Jody (red Capote) come out with her Dad(camo) - both shooting Hawkens he built in the 70's, a fullstock .58 for her (Mom's rifle) and Brad shooting his .54.

1 - .32, 1 - .40, 1 - .45 and the rest a couple .50's - few 54's, 1- .58 and .60 rifles plus .20, 24, and 28 bore pelters shooting ball. OOps, must have missed one.

Jody has an order in for a .58 to .62 Jaeger from Dad, after handling Taylor's little belcher yesterday.

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »
Had another shooting Sunday - only 7 of us.  On the F scale, about 10 degrees - bit chilly on the hands. Nice to see Jody out again, shooting with her Dad.  let's see - 1 - 54 1/2 stocked Hawken, 1 - full stocked .58 Hawken, 2 - .58 Enfield 1861's, 2 - 20 bore smoothies, 1 - 28 bore smoothie.
Neil and I had a blast with our Musketoons - and accurate little fellas they are, too.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 10:22:10 PM »
Posting too many photos??? No way young feller.  I say more, more, more!

That one ol boy with the extensive paunch & the woolrich jacket sure looks Pennsylvania German to me. How'd he get there??   Love that shot with the shooter surrounded in smoke and the fire exiting the muzzle.  Great.  Ol Taylor likes to make smoke.  I'm copying that one...

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:33:36 PM by Roger Fisher »

Harnic

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 11:11:50 PM »

That one ol boy with the extensive paunch & the woolrich jacket sure looks Pennsylvania German to me. How'd he get there??   

Hahahaha!  Good shot Roger!  That's our dear friend Leatherbelly!  That "extensive paunch" is how he survives in the "great white north" all winter.  ;)

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 11:37:26 PM »
Roger - are you suggesting Taylor needs a new Whitelightning liner?? HA! - that's bunch of smoke for sure.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 11:48:28 PM »
Allways a roof over my toolshed! Dang, and it's not a Woolrich, man! Hudson Bay all the way! Cost me 4 beaver,2 muskrat und a weisel,Ja!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:52:39 PM by Leatherbelly »

Leatherbelly

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 11:59:54 PM »

That one ol boy with the extensive paunch & the woolrich jacket sure looks Pennsylvania German to me. How'd he get there??   

Hahahaha!  Good shot Roger!  That's our dear friend Leatherbelly!  That "extensive paunch" is how he survives in the "great white north" all winter.  ;)

Hey Harry, Where ya been? Hiding under a bush? Long time!Oh, and it's not  a paunch, i'm just relaxing. Cheers, bro!

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 12:52:43 AM »
I think you might be looking at a picture of Len mc Crea, not LB.  Len's got a bit of a food blister for sure...don't we all.  LB is in the next photo.
And I might have overprimed die Busche.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Harnic

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 03:55:52 AM »

Hey Harry, Where ya been? Hiding under a bush? Long time!Oh, and it's not  a paunch, i'm just relaxing. Cheers, bro!

Hi Roy!  I had a rough year last year & haven't until recently been very interested in anything, even shooting!   :o  !@*%&@ near faded away to nothing too!  I only weigh 168 pounds now (still 6'-3" tall ) & am starting to feel GREAT again!

Taylor, maybe I am looking at the wrong picture... I was looking at the first image.

• Member 3
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 04:03:38 AM »
In the first image of this thread, LB is second from the left wearing that green capote.  He carries his pillow in the front in case he feels like a nap.
D. Taylor Sapergia