Author Topic: On any Sunday...  (Read 28782 times)

Daryl

Re: On any Sunday...
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 07:40:57 PM »
7 out of 10 were flinters.  This is a BIG change from 20 years ago where there might have been one flintlock or no flinters to caplocks.  Next time out, Carol will be shooting my .40 flint half-stock.  Oh yeah - guys a week ago, complained when my .69 smashed a target down, well yesterday, my .40 did another, the swimming moose head. What a HOOT!  All it takes is powder! - HA!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:43:05 PM by Daryl »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2010, 10:42:12 PM »
What a gorgeous day!  There was a little snow flying now and again, sun broke through now and again, and everyone shot the entire trail, some of us with quite a few Roger Fishers (re-entries)  Ten shooters including Brad's daughter Jody shooting her mom's full stocked percussion .58 cal Hawken, and Daryl's daughter Carol, shooting her mom's .45 percussion rifle.  Hatchet Jack Bradford, far right, sighted in his new J & S Hawken flull stocked flinter, displayed here shamelessly a few weeks ago.  We sighted it in offhand at about 18 yds. 'cause that's where our tie-breaker board sits, until we could take out the ten X every time and went on from there.  Left/right was perfect, just had to take off about 1/8" of the front sight.  By the end of the trail, he rang the 109 yd. gong 2 for 3...a happy shooter.  We all made some great shots, and some poor ones to remind us of our mortality.  All fun though.

Wot, re-entries??   No shame at all!

On dangerous ground since she has to be some lucky hound dog's wife, who is the red headed beauty??? ;D     I guess, I'm safe asking since there is around 2,500 miles 'tween us! :P ;)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2010, 01:16:08 AM »
She's my niece, Roger - Daryl's second born daughter.  Red hair must be a dominant gene for us...both my girls, and one of Daryl's has red hair.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rf50cal

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2010, 05:04:09 AM »
Always enjoy the photos and reports of your group. It's becoming like a good television series. I find myself looking forward to next weeks episode.
Roger Fleisher

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2010, 05:32:56 AM »
7 out of 10 were flinters.  This is a BIG change from 20 years ago where there might have been one flintlock or no flinters to caplocks.  Next time out, Carol will be shooting my .40 flint half-stock.  Oh yeah - guys a week ago, complained when my .69 smashed a target down, well yesterday, my .40 did another, the swimming moose head. What a HOOT!  All it takes is powder! - HA!

But Daryl, most folks don't load 150 grains in their .40 like you do... ;D :D

Hey that sure is a good group of folks there! :)

Daryl

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2010, 05:53:14 PM »
Sunday May 2nd. 8 shooters showed up - fairly warm, (above freezing) but a chill wind.
1st picture- bit shakey, I guess, Taylor giving instruction to a new, young shooter.

Jody aiming at the 100 yard turkey

shooting at it - hit I believe

LB shooting at the same turkey with his 20 Fusil de Chase
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:05:51 PM by Daryl »

Leatherbelly

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2010, 09:22:54 PM »
  Is that Taylor or Komrade Yeltsin?

Daryl

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2010, 03:46:38 AM »
Comrade Taylor, of course.
Won't be there this Sunday - Have to go reduce the gopher numbers around Horse Fly - oh well.  I'm taking 2 squirrel rifles for walk-around guns - weather is supposed to be nice this week.  Don't worry, I'll make the best of it without you. ;D

Daryl

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 02:13:35 AM »
Well, here we are July 24th 2011.
4 showed today - Taylor and I, along with Kim and her bo, Darrell, along with their dogs Ruger and Sako.
first picture - left to right - Taylor .40 cal., Daryl .32, Darrell holding .62 Smoothbore, Kim .50 - all shooting flintlocks. A good day- not too hot, but plenty warm enough just the same at about 70F.(21.1C) The sun shone briefly, once or twice to make it uncomfortable for me - HA! - oh well.

Taylor - 2 fingers on the rod, loading a denim .022" patch and .395" ball in the Kuntz.

Me- aiming at a chunk of 110 pound 'rail'

Darrell blasting at the turkey - 100 yards downrange.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 02:24:20 AM »
Looks like another good time had by all Daryl! :)

We only had 4 show up at our monthly .22lr rifle match this morning.  Potter and myself shot Aperture Sights while the
other two shot scoped rifles.  We Aperture shooters beat 'em!  And we beat 'em big!

Me........123 / 150 - Aperture
Potter...103 / 150 - Aperture
Zeke.......81 / 150 - Scope
Marvin.....72 / 150 - Scope

You might say Potter and I were training with the .22's to get in shape for our up coming Muzzle Loading State Shoot.

Not really, but it keeps the thread muzzle loading related... ;)

Again, looks like a good time had by all! :)  I wish more of our ML shooters would use flintlocks.

Daryl

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2011, 02:44:58 AM »
Amazing as it might seem - at our club, the flinters outnumber the caplocks 2:1- or more. There are only a couple cap shooters. 'Course, if I want a better chance at winning, I shoot a larger bore caplock - either .58 double rifle, Musketoon or .69.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:24:38 AM by Daryl »

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2011, 03:31:43 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures CS. Reminds me of times past, Turkey-Foot Longrifle club shooting up north. Here in this part of Texas we don't get that white stuff on the ground and we can see the targets standing a mile away, if not more. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2011, 05:07:05 AM »
AJ, Daryl posted the picture from their group up north.  I'm a bit further south (northwest Nebraska)...  They are some fine pictures for sure! :)

Harnic

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2011, 07:27:06 AM »
Amazing as it might seem - at our club, the flinters outnumber the caplocks 2:1- or more. There are only a couple cap shooters. 'Course, if I want a better chance at winning, I shoot a larger bore caplock - either .58 double rifle, Musketoon or .69.

No big surprise there Daryl, as you well know, flinters are much more reliable than cap-busters!

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2011, 04:32:16 PM »
I'd like to know why Taylor's wee .40 cal requires he use a recoil pad ?  ;D

Daryl

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »
He has a very badly injured shoulder that was giving extra problems.  The pad was the only way he could shoot at all. Suffice to say, the extra 1/2 or 5/8" it added to the length of pull, really hurt his usual stellar shooting.  They take some getting used to.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2011, 06:33:17 PM »
Sorry to hear about the shoulder. I had a rotator c. injury that took a year to heal, so I feel for him.
I thought it may have been that .40's stock design. !!!

Daryl

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »
No - normally you cannot feel it recoil from that little Kuntz .40.  If you can't even touch the 'sore' spot with a finger - even merely holding the rifle to it is too painful. The pad spread out the contact surface to where Taylor was able to joint us.

Mine- a cartilage torn fore and aft (dang .458's), is non-reparable and been many years now 'healing' itself - since 2004.

Now, finding then touching the spot of the tear is quite sharply painful, but padding it up with a bit of muscle on the outside or prior, a shooting pad under the coat allowed me to continue shooting.   Nowadays, I only need to wear the pad when shooting my .69 off the bags or a lot of hunting loads offhand or with the modern 'medium' bore.  The .58 DR with 110gr. 2f doesn't bother it.  This is the first year in many that I've been able to raise my elbow shoulder high when shooting offhand. Prior, it was just too painful.  I think the weights have helped in that regard as well.

Shoulder problems are quite difficult for shooters, that's for sure.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2011, 06:33:56 AM »
Yes, shoulders are often under appreciated by shooters, until they have an injury !  I was carrying in a sheet of dry wall when the wind caught it, and in a split second my shoulder was done in.
I elected to not have surgery, asked the Doc how long .?  He said about a year, and he was pretty much right.  That's how I was able to recognize a "PAST" recoil pad ! :)  I wouldn't think about shooting my Sharp's .50 2 1/2 "  from prone without it.

• Member 3
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2011, 04:23:54 AM »
Well here it is the end of the first week of August, and except where the city piled the snow last winter, it's all gone.  At the snow dump there's still about 30 feet I think!  ...not kidding.
Today we decided to shoot trap, and assembled at the new range since our old site was in use for a sporting clays match.  There were eight of us, including Daryl's second born, Carol, and we had a great time.  I have yet to figure out how they make it look so easy.  I think I'[ll put away the original Manton 15 bore, and break out my Taylor-Made flint 12 next time...then, look out!  So here's the crew...minus Carol who took the picture.

D. Taylor Sapergia

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2011, 04:41:15 AM »
Taylor, I'm surprised to read you used your 15 bore instead of your .40 flintlock rifle... ;D

Glad to hear all had a good time.  As always, looks like great fun up there. :)

Daryl

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2011, 06:27:05 PM »

• Member 3
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2011, 06:30:57 PM »
If I use the .650 ball in the 15 gauge, I have a better chance on those birds than with the .395 ball out of the longrifle!!

Actually we were shooting to the north which puts the Blackwater Road in the fall of the shot, so I insisted that Leatherbelly use two balls, just so we could say we were using shot, rather than single projectiles!!  Notice I'm the only one with a caplock.  Yikes!!!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2011, 03:39:55 AM »
Notice I'm the only one with a caplock.  Yikes!!!

How in the world did I miss that! ;D

Daryl

« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2012, 01:16:18 AM »
Well, been a long time since this was topical.
Here's a bunch from today's trail walk, normal Sunday shoot for us- no contest, no prizes - a simple practise if it needs a name.
left to right - Reagan .50, Daryl .40, Taylor .40, LB .40, Berke .50 and Hatchet Jack .50.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:17:01 AM by Daryl »