General discussion > Accoutrements Tutorials

How I Pour A Pewter Tip On A Horn

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tim Crosby:

--- Quote from: T.C.Albert on January 13, 2010, 03:22:49 AM ---When pouring nose caps or knife ferrules etc..covering the surface of the area to be poured over with pencil graphite seems to "flux" the pour a bit, helping to eliminate big voids. Im wondering if this helps with horn as well?
TCA

--- End quote ---

I use it when pouring a nose cap or when casting inlays on hawk handles and think it really does improve the flow. Although I think the temperature of the pewter has a lot to do with it also. I don't use it on the horn since I want it to stick to the neck area, on the horns I use it mainly as a release agent.

Tim C.

mill creek trading:
What temperature do you want to reach before you pour your pewter?  Also there is a high temperature electrical tape that is white and has like threads running thru and it isthat is great for sealing the edges of the form you put around your horn or knife handle.   Dennis

Tim Crosby:
 Unfortunately I have no idea what the temp is. I have poured so much stuff that it is more of a look/feel process.
 I think somewhere I read that a match stick put into the ladle should scorch but not burst into flame.
I do know that you can get it to hot, it will bubble when poured causing voids, it will also stay hot long enough to burn the horn and make the tip loose. (A Pin or so will help that)
 I would advise a couple of trial pours before the real thing. (I will add this to the first post)

Tim C

mill creek trading:
Thanks Tim, I will experiment.   Dennis

sonny:
I made a penny knife an wanted to put pewter inlay in handle.I first cut the enlay an undercut the bottom edges so pewter would hold it there.I melted some pewter an pored it on enlay an vough"la.........it made a tear shaped pewter spot an never filled the enlay.It looked like when there is a water bead on your car........kinda raised an not filling in the cutout.I got the pewter hot enought to scorch the wood hadle of the knife????If i did that to a horn it would melt the horn an not fill in the horn/pewter edges where thay mate...........what did i do wrong???....sonny

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version