Author Topic: Lehigh Pistol completed  (Read 15399 times)

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: Lehigh Pistol completed
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 07:41:02 AM »
Thanks for all the replies on the pistol fellas.  You're being too nice  ::).   Old ford, this is my 3rd pistol, but my 9th gun.  You're welcome to copy the ideas, but bear in mind that this is an interpretation of several orginal Lehigh's, not one in particular. 
The metal finish is just slow rust brown, rubbed back with steel wool.  The lock was case hardened first, so the brown doesn't take as well, and leaves a bit of a shine. 
It's a Becky lock, I made the lockplate much narrower and filed facets on the pan. 

School is going pretty well thanks.  I feel a bit old when most others in my classes are 18-20 and love to get smashed on weekends...  I often quote Roger "Darn Kids!"

I'm going to try to make it to Lewisburg this year, I really regretted not being able to make it last year... academics got in the way. 

I'm debating whether I might sell this one or not, so it may be looking for a home in the next couple months.  I'll have it with me at Lewisburg if I'm able to make it. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
nice job Eric,
can I ask how you did the incised carving. What method. You did a very fine, clean job on it.
have you shot it yet?
Thanks,
Marc

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »
Hey Marc,
    I used a 60 degree V parting tool for the carving, chased with a small wooden mallet.  I have much more control when using the mallet than if I try to push it by hand.  Haven't shot it yet, that'll have to wait until I get back from school. 
-Eric

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 12:33:14 AM »
Far out!

Did you have trouble mulling the pigment into the varnish?  I would have figured that the TruOil would want to get tacky too quick.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
I just took a second look and liked it even more this time. I have a thing for very small pistols and thats a great one!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 06:54:08 AM »
Excellent Eric! Have you tried a small veiner for incise carving? If so, how do you compare its use with that of the V parting tool??

Have a great time in school!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 08:18:40 AM »
Excellent Eric! Have you tried a small veiner for incise carving? If so, how do you compare its use with that of the V parting tool??

Have a great time in school!!
Tim,  The veiner is used for cutting the veins in folage, hence the name veiner.  The "V" tool with its pointed bottom is the correct tool for cutting incised carving.  A veiner would not give you the right look.
DMR

Offline elk killer

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
Eric,
how is the trigger guard attached?
i assume a pin..but i see no screw in the grip..
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 06:07:34 PM »
Eric, did you submit the pics to Art Riser for the Contemporary BlogSpot yet?

Thanks Dave!! I wondered.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Daryl

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 07:10:34 PM »
Well done, Erik- nice to 'see' you again.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 07:03:15 AM »
Chris, The tru-oil would probably not be suitable for a larger application like a rifle, but on this small stock I was able to get away with it.  It wanted to get a bit tacky on the board while mulling it, but small drop of turpentine kept things moving well enough.  Once on the stock, it got a bit gritty (regardless of how long it was mulled), which had to be rubbed back with steel wool.  When I used my home-brew varnish on a Lehigh a few years back, it wasn't nearly as gritty, and of course I could rub it out evenly for as long as I needed. 

Tim, I think the veiner wouldn't give the right look and definition to the lines that a parting tool would.  The parting tool also allows you to rock to one side or the other to vary the line width in the curves.  I've never been sure what the protocol is for submitting pictures to the blogspot before, so I've been sticking with my ALR folks for now. 

Elk Killer, The grip is pinned at the forward tab (hidden inside the lock mortice and underneath the sideplate).  The rear portion is held in place through pressure.  The bottom 1/4" edge of the grip portion of the guard has a slight reverse bevel on it, so it fits into the stock and is retained by the wood. 

Back at school and busy as ever, classes should be good this semester.  Thanks again for the comments,
-Eric

mtgelaude

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »
  Love the pistol, almost makes me cry.  Wish I had that kind of tallent.  And it only too you three weeks.....imagine what you could do with three months.  I love the lehigh style, I have had a rfle in the white for 4 years, ust never gettime to get to it,  :'(  wish I had your tallent.
  Love the size of it, not huge like some of the pistols are, though they are fine, but I prefer smaller, they handle better.  .50 cal is perfect, and it goes fine with my /50 Cal rifle (hint).  jk.  If I was rich, I would have you make me one just like it.  The carving is beautiful, so is the engraving.  Color is awsome, looks like it is worn in all the correct places.  I love the lock work, and the but cap is a nice touch. 
  Also cool that you can make it out of scraps of wood from yur neighbor, all the  rees around here are oak and pine, not so great for stocks and such. Great job, keep up the great work.