Author Topic: Transional Rifle  (Read 4899 times)

Offline Old Ford2

Transional Rifle
« on: January 14, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »
Could somebody please tell me what a " Transional" pre-revoluntiary rifle is?
Thank you for any in put
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline AndyThomas

Re: Transional Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »
Some believe the "transional" rifle to be a myth. There were, as early as the late 1740s, both "short" rifles and "long" rifles. The change may have been abrupt.

Pre-RevWar rifles tend to be heavily proportioned, say 2" or more thick at the butt, and 1 1/16" or more at the breech of the barrel.

The true transition may have been from German style to American style, rather than an increase in barrel length as some have suggested.

I haven't studied German rifle style enough to know the changes made.

Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 06:05:20 PM »
I would consider some of the guns in RCA, the early Germanic guns in the first section, to be 'transitional' rifles. Transitioning from pure German to American style, these guns retain so much of the design and cultural elements from the continental styles that it is often difficult to tell where the guns were made.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:55:33 PM »
I tried to find one to model from a couple years ago.  No one seemed able to point at a confirmed surviving example.  The most common statement seems to be that few if any survived - yet we have rifles which have survived from earlier periods in Europe.  I did find German made rifles which were virtually identical with some of our long rifles with the earlier decorative style (Baroque versus Roccoco).  I am certainly not any where near knowledgable on this subject but I suspect that rifles similar to the Marshall rifle, with stepped wrists, broad buttplates, remnants  of baroque decor elements  and relatively larger bores might be pretty close.  Copying a German rifle of that same period with a maple stock might just be as accurate as any.  If you build one that way there isn't anyone can prove you wrong!

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »
Transitional rifle implies an orderly progression, and the old gospel said that Germanic rifles were short, thick and large bored, then in America folks learned they needed a longer barrel for a better sighting plane or to burn inferior powder or whatever.  Some writers made stories up and they got passed along.  But there are records of rifles ordered with barrels 4 feet long in the 1750's, so it's confusing at best.  I think "early" is a better term.  

However, the term transitional may apply as we think of architecture.  If we see the Marshall rifle as Germanic in style, by comparison #42 looks lean and racy.  Within a school or region, we see transitions.  Over time, in general, buttplates got narrower, then curved, then deeply curved, etc.

It seems that in common use , the term "transitional rifle" is to describe a rifle with a combination of early European characteristics and characteristics found later on clearly American rifles.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:54:26 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 09:50:58 PM »
RCA #19 is one of my favorite of what some would call "transitional" guns.  If the gun were stocked in European walnut, instead of black walnut (and if the buttplate wasn't so cheesy  :D ) it would be a very typical German gun.

;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 09:53:49 PM »
Never cared for the term myself. Transitioning from what  to what?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline alex e.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:28:37 PM »
As to the buttplate on # 19.As an owner of a very close copy of that gun I have done some research on those parts.The buttplate is definitely French,as the engraving style also,but not done by a professional hand,the engraving on the TG is also of the same style,maybe not done by the same hand,also not a master engraver.the sideplate altough a common style for the period is said to bear resemblance to French styles"type "D".with rather crude engraving.Combine that with some other Germanic/European features,and theres more questions than answers.Its one of my favorite guns,but then I have a thing for composite guns :)

Alex..
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 11:55:35 PM »
I would not think the buttplate was French.  Done in imitation of French style, yes (as SO many things were), but not French.  The rumor has been, and it makes sense to me, that the front end of the triggerguard finial is a replaced part, and originally it probably had a more leafy shape rather than the acorn-like design there now.  Totally unconfirmed at this point, though.  I don't see any reason to consider it a "composite" gun at all.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:57:18 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 01:35:36 AM »
I have seen that sort of buttplate tang finial used beyond France, but they sure were common on French trade guns etc.  On the other hand, who has seen a guard like that on a French rifle (a rare species itself) and as noted above, engraved by the same hand as the buttplate.  I am leaning away from the idea that it is a gun built with parts from pre-existing guns.

I'm nearing the end on my RCA 19 tribute gun, a couple of years later than planned, and have modified the front guard finial to a vestigial  acanthus point.  I engraved the buttplate last weekend and am ready to take on the guard.  I'm glad the original was done in an interesting but unsophisticated manner, or I'd be in worse shape than I am.

Andover, Vermont