Author Topic: My work in progress  (Read 14745 times)

Offline B.Barker

My work in progress
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »
Here is an iron mounted rifle that I'm working on. Being left handed has limited my choice for locks so I got a Chambers gunmakers lock.  I have made some mods on it as well as making a new frizzen. I also have made all the furniture from wrought iron. Can't decide if I'm going to put a grease hole or box on it.

Offline Telgan

Re: My work in progress
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
Brian, Looks like a great project. Like the lock modifications. Also like what you have penciled in as a box on the butt. How long is it and how big is the hole in the end of the barrel? Tom

Dancy

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:29:56 PM »
Like those triggers!

My vote is for a nice long NE TN banana style box to go with the triggers.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

James

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:31:10 PM »
I'm 'working' on similar rifle (Gillespie) steel mounted but a rightly,  Having a problem getting 'in to' the project!  I have a notion why ::)

Can't see if you used a long barrel tang.  Have you or will you sink a rod in to that wrist.  We noted the grain runout!

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
Tom its a 44" A weight Rice barrel, .40 caliber. You know I like the long ones. Roger I used a willow leaf style tang and I don't know if I will put a rod in or not. I'm a little worried about the runout also and my next rifle I build I'll pay closer attention to the grain in the wrist area when selecting the wood. Oh well we live and learn.

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:09:13 PM »
Brian,
I like the rifle a bunch, and the hardware looks great .  I am usually in the same situation as you when I get to this point in the build.  I like grease holes like on some of the Bull rifles, but I love the long patchboxes as well.  I usually flip a coin and go with the flow if I am building the rifle for me.  Is the bag at the bottom of the last photo something new as well?  Good luck with the build.
                                                                        Roger Sells

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 12:38:29 AM »
Mr. Barker...I like your new rifle too.  It has a very pleasing shape all around.  Nice work on the lock too.
May I suggest that you cut away the stock along the barrel channel to expose more than half of the side flat.  It will go a long way to giving the rifle a slim look.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 01:15:07 AM »
B.
I like it.... a lot!  Great job on the lock and the wood to metal fit looks nice and tight.  I like the shape of the patch box you have penciled in, but I think it would be even better if just a little larger.  Are you going to extend the side plate, as it is penciled in?  That's an interesting feature too.  I agree with Taylor... show more of the barrel. 

It's going to be a great rifle.  Keeps us posted on your progress.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 01:40:47 AM »
 Looking Good, Thanks for the pics, keep 'em coming.

Tim C.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 01:55:06 AM »
I'm liking what I see  so far.  Just me but I like simple, single lid patchboxes.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 02:32:25 AM »
Neat, neat gun!

I love the lock modifications and also the pencilled in teardrop box.  (I just might steal that idea for a future gun).

If it were mine, I'd work on the frizzen spring.  The finial especially is yelling "Siler".  That's just me...

Nice work,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 05:37:10 AM »
Somebody has finally posted a gun that is not built backwards! ;)  The lock panels look nice and slim, too.  I like it.
-Joe

eagle24

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »
Somebody has finally posted a gun that is not built backwards!

Well, I was thinking the opposite.  Dang, he had a super good looking rifle going and got drunk one night and put the lock on the wrong side. ;D

Joking aside, it's looking great.  I really like the shape of the comb and wrist.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  I think a fine rifle is in the making.  I like what you have going for the patch box.  Grease holes and banana patch boxes are too common.  I hope you stick with the teardrop design.  I also like the outline of the lock panel.  This is gonna be a good looking southern rifle.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 06:51:08 AM »
I'm a little worried about the runout also and my next rifle I build I'll pay closer attention to the grain in the wrist area when selecting the wood. Oh well we live and learn.
If your blank is slab sawn I would not worry too much about the grain runout in the wrist.  The runout is only critical in quarter sawn wood.  You got a great start to a nice looking rifle.
DMR

Licensed to kill

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 07:21:27 AM »

If your blank is slab sawn I would not worry too much about the grain runout in the wrist.  The runout is only critical in quarter sawn wood.  You got a great start to a nice looking rifle.
DMR

X2

warmutt

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 11:57:30 AM »
B. Barker, did you make a new pan as well, or file a standard Chamber's pan to the rounded profile? Do you have any more photos of the lock as you were modifying it? 

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 03:52:28 PM »
Sorry Warmutt this is the only photo. I filed the Chambers pan round and will make a new frizzen spring and maybe a mainspring also. As for the fore stock I haven't started working on it yet. Thats why I didn't photograph it. Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll post some more photo of different boxes I'm thinking of. 

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 07:17:24 PM »
Super looking piece Brian.  Really captures the nice crisp lines and proportions that make these guns so appealing.  Hardware looks nice and I love the reshaping on the lock - not many people choose to do the square tail locks, but they look nice. 

Guy

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »
Brian,
It looks like you are making good progress. You are probably going to be done by the next class if you keep this rate up. I won't be able to attend the next class, so you will probably will be done the next time I see the rifle in person.
I like in progress pictures. Keep them coming.
Marc

Madcaster

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 10:19:45 PM »
 Looks like good fitting,and with clean lines that is the basis of a nice gun!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 09:37:18 AM »
Super job on the lock. Very convincing. And ,yes, modify the frizzen spring. With all you've done that's the easiest thing you've got.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 06:57:09 PM »
Nice work! I like the lock. What did you make the frizzen of?

Best regards

Rolfkt

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 09:56:22 PM »
Rolfkt I made the frizzen out of 1018 steel. I plan on half soling it with 1095. The 1018 is easy to work with it case hardens well also. I made the triggers out of 1018 and cased them. I could do the same to the frizzen and no more shooting than I do now it would probably last but I want to try half soling since I've never done one.

exTNer

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 05:11:08 PM »
I'm a lefty too, so I'm really liking this one!!  Definately like to see more pics as this progresses, and pics of the half-soling of that frizzen.   Pics of the back-side of the lock too.  This may have to be my next project, so I hope you don't mind if I follow your lead. 

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »
How do you sole a frizzen?? I woud have thout you have to forge weld it and that would ruin the shape of the frizzen.

Best regards

Rolfkt