Author Topic: Pennsylvania "cartel'  (Read 11599 times)

jwh1947

Pennsylvania "cartel'
« on: January 18, 2010, 04:34:03 AM »
As I sit here in central Pennsylvania I say to myself how fortunate I am to have been born here. I've had fun at many at barn sales, world class auctions, and have shared time with some of the greatest collectors and researchers the world will ever know, and I was a small part of it.

And the legend lives on here in central PA.  I submit that, square mile for square mile, we have the best and largest group of emerging gunsmiths in the nation.  I only mention the  younger ones I know personally and endorse from our neighborhood.  We are all friends and that makes it fun.  We have Allen Martin, Eric Kettenberg, Mark Wheland and Dave Dodds upstate from my place and we have Scott Shea down in Lebanon County.  I don't go in to the entire list of established makers, but have a personal appreciation of Bill Shipman's execution. He's from Lancaster.  They are in all directions.

Then we have Getz, the finest custom barrel man to be had. as well as Colerain pumping them out with quality.  Then there's Fred and others doing fine wood prep, and lots of us use local maple.  Yep, a cottage industry still exists.   Also, if you want to learn about screw tip horns or want one made correctly, you want to speak to Art DeCamp up in Huntingdon or one of the other members of the horners' guild.  Use a lock made by Stan Hollenbaugh (East Berlin) and brass furniture by Reaves Goehring (Columbia) and you have a pure PA rifle. Not to be missed is Dixon's, Home of the Gunmakers' Fair and the many fine museums. There are many makers I don't know personally; add them and central Pennsylania is again hard to top.  Now I'm done bragging about my homeland.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:38:33 AM by jwh1947 »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Pennsylvania "cartel'
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:16:58 AM »
John, you have every right to be pleased and proud.  You and all the rest of you, are the envy of all we who watch from afar.  But the world has thankfully become a smaller and more intimate place, and we who yearn for knowledge and your companionship, including our brothers and sisters from your own west coast, are able to immerse ourselves in these fascinating subjects from time to time, as $ and time allows.
But mostly, I appreciate that you recognize how fortunate you/we are.  This is a wonderful time to be alive!!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

jwh1947

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »
And we graciously welcome men an women from all regions to share in the fun.  Remarkable contributions come from all corners, we just seem to be in some sort of epicenter.  

Incidentally, it is one thing to build a gun or two as an avocation, as I and others occasionally do.  It is another thing entirely to cast yourself off from a regular paycheck and health benefits and rely on your own brains and skills to feed your family.  If you plan to survive as a gun builder, you darn well better know what you are doing.  Lots of these boys are doing just that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:06:07 PM by jwh1947 »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:16:44 PM »
The best part is that nearly all of you are on ALR!!! ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 12:14:18 AM »
Out here in ''the Bush'' we refer to Cartel as the'' Pennsylvania Mafia ''. :) And yes you do have a real concentration  of talent .In a good way I might add.

per No 6 BSG ....It has happened before and it will happen again 

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 03:09:52 AM »
  If I didn't already live here....Id move!
20 some years ago my parents moved me here kicking and screaming from New Jersey. When I think of all the other places I could have landed...Yikes!
 I for one have been very grateful for all the resources around me and consider my self blessed to live in an area so thick with people who Love all things "Longrifle".
 Every year I meet people at Dixon's who have traveled from all corners to spend a few face to face minutes with their favorite builder, or have the judges look at their guns or talk to the owners of some of the best collections in the country and I think to myself how lucky I have been to have constant access to their minds,their work and their antiques. It doesn't get any better!!! We even have Chris L. here who is like a long arm the reaches into Virginia for us....It's awesome!
 We truly are like a big family here ....I recommend you all call movers and a Realtor right now....just kidding! ;D I love Central Pa.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 05:41:52 AM »
And there's Dave Keck of Knob Mountain who has some outstanding castings and does great stock work!  Wayne Dunlap also gets a lot of his wood from PA.  I was born and raised in Lancaster County and still think of it as my "home"....

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 05:46:12 AM »
Wayne.......Kit Ravenshear did a little book about the unusual group of Muzzleloading people around this area.   This was
another interesting gunbuilder who lived locally (speaking of Kit Ravenshear), then we also had Bill Kennedy who was well known for his pistols.  We also have locally Bob Lepley who shapes kit stocks for Chambers, Jim Klein, Track of
the Wolf, and others.  You also forgot Brad Emig....what a talent.   Another local talented gun builder who died early several years ago was Dave Wagner who spent time in the Williamsburg gun shop.  We were the hub for so many of these guys, always dropping in the shop to show something new, or to order or pick up an extra barrel or two.  It always
was, to say the least, a very interesting job..................Don

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 06:04:27 AM »
I for one am jealous.  My wife lived in Lewisburg when her dad worked for the federal prison system.  I have been trying for several years to get here to "move back" to PA when we retire.  Can't seem to get her motivated.  She has been out west too long and has grown accustom to horseback riding in the mountains.  Got another year to go, maybe I can convince her yet.
DMR

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 05:57:33 PM »
I for one am jealous.  My wife lived in Lewisburg when her dad worked for the federal prison system.  I have been trying for several years to get here to "move back" to PA when we retire.  Can't seem to get her motivated.  She has been out west too long and has grown accustom to horseback riding in the mountains.  Got another year to go, maybe I can convince her yet.
DMR

Dave,
I think that many of us would take up a collection to buy her a horse ...if you were to move back here! As for the mountains well...not so much. But we have "big hills" according to some of my west coast friends :D
Jim
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:58:11 PM by JWFilipski »
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 09:41:08 PM »
I for one am jealous.  My wife lived in Lewisburg when her dad worked for the federal prison system.  I have been trying for several years to get here to "move back" to PA when we retire.  Can't seem to get her motivated.  She has been out west too long and has grown accustom to horseback riding in the mountains.  Got another year to go, maybe I can convince her yet.
DMR

Dave,
I think that many of us would take up a collection to buy her a horse ...if you were to move back here! As for the mountains well...not so much. But we have "big hills" according to some of my west coast friends :D
Jim
I want to be the first (or second) to volunteer a donation towards that nag (I mean the horse ::) so long as it is a cheap one.  But tell her she better hurry I'm not getting any younger ;D

Offline smshea

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 09:52:09 PM »
I'd love to have you back too...  so I'm all in! With a couple of phone calls I can probably get her a retired race horse for nothing if she's not fussy and tell her the Mountains look big here...if you stand in a hole and squint ;D

jwh1947

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 02:59:22 AM »
Sorry for missing you Brad. You, too, are a master.  Your son's work, too, is none to be overlooked.  The list of cool makers in central PA just keeps growing. I rest my case.  wayne

jimc2

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 03:29:53 AM »
Don't forget us guys at Jacobsburg       jim

jwh1947

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 10:40:52 AM »
OK, it's 2:00am and during this hypomanic epsode, allow me to elaborate on that last remark.  As many of you know, Jacobsburg Plantation/Historical Society is the home of the Pennsylvania Museum of the Longrifle.  This is the site of the original Henry gun factory, and in partnership with the Commonwealth, the area has been rejuvenated, organized and opened to the public as a cultural and historic jewel of eastern Pennsylvania.  The location is north of Easton, PA, just off Rt. 33 at Boulton exit.  Call for hours.

As part of Jacobsburg's mission, they run a gunsmithing apprentice program.  The program runs in a spring/fall cycle, if I am correct.  The first class is for beginners and the goal is to take a novice and give him/her enough knowledge base to build a gun.  The desire to develop skills and a willingness to learn is all you need to sign up.  Most students go out on their own and get something to build.  These projects often become the focus of many sessions.  

A second class is held annually for graduates of the first program.  Here, the focus is on artistic decoration, advanced problems in construction and building, learning to make parts, and regional differences.  My success in both classes is a testament to the instructors' patience with slow learners.

The backbone of this program would be Tim Lubenesky and his companions who oversee administrative matters as well as the professional gunsmiths who donate their time to make the project work.  One key builder and instructor was George Dech, of Bath, who passed not too long ago.  He was a master, and a master teacher.

The three active gunsmiths who were also there in my day were Jim Correll of Weatherly, Rich Hujsa of Lehigh/Northampton and Rocky Shreck, also of that area.  I don't even know if all of these guys are even taking orders today, but any work that they do is top shelf.  Sure, if you wise guys from Lehigh and environs actually want to associate with us Central PA types, have a formal sit-down of sorts, there's this place up in Appalachian, NY...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:18:44 PM by jwh1947 »

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 05:40:15 PM »
Don't forget us guys at Jacobsburg       jim
Well Jim its high time you got on here! ;D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 05:45:50 PM »
N.Y. Jeez 'they' still using that place ??? ;)

Think you meant Jim Correll of (near) Weatherly, Pa..........!

jwh1947

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 11:16:34 PM »
Yes, thanks,  corrections made to last night's comments.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:20:12 PM by jwh1947 »

jimc2

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »
I answer to anything   jim

Offline smshea

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 06:39:56 AM »
George-Jim whatever you call him...he has been mentor to a great many of us strays over the years. I'd call him Sir if he didn't make me call him Jimmy!  ;)

Good to see you here!
Scott

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Reaves Goehring at this time? Thanks, 2020

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 06:57:15 PM »
Reaves can be reached at 717-684-2022.

dannybb55

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 12:23:03 AM »
My wife and I are going to Phillipsburg/Easton in early August for a wedding in the middle of the week so we have a few days of a full week to visit and sight see. Where would be a great place to go?
                                                              Danny

PGosnell

2 recommendations
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:52 AM »
You really should get them to change the date of the wedding  ;D,  so you can attend the Dixon's Gunsmaker Fair the last weekend in July.  You'll meet a lot of nice folk that frequent this website and a herd of fine gunmakers.

http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/index.php?section=gunmakersfair&link=generalinfo

but if you can't,  drop by Dixon's anytime.

The other location to visit is Jacobsburg.

http://www.jacobsburg.org/jacobsburg_home.html
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:08:35 AM by Paul G. »

Offline jim meili

• Wisconsin Muzzle Loading Association
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »
One other builder I would like to bring notice to, is my good friend Paul Allison who lives down in Gap, PA.
Good honest long guns with exact detail.
Jim
And don't forget Bob Hoyt or another young builder, Bob Meier.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:11:31 PM by jim meili »