Author Topic: slim rifle/barrel size?  (Read 2636 times)

TinStar

slim rifle/barrel size?
« on: January 19, 2010, 08:04:01 PM »
When I get around to buying the parts for my first build from Tip Curtis I plan on a .50 or a .54 Cal. swamped barrel.  My question is;  what would make a nice(best choice) "slim" rifle,  a 42" .50 B wgt., 42" .54 C wgt., 44" .50 B wgt., or a 44" .54 C wgt.?  I'm going to use it for deer so it really comes down to what would be the slimmer looking choice.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline Tommy Bruce

Re: slim rifle/barrel size?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 08:11:23 PM »
A .50 cal b wieght in 44" would make a nice slim rifle.  If you are lucky enough to find one Getz also makes a b wieght in .54 cal.  I believe it is about .006 wider at the breech than the b wieght in .45 or .50.  I have a friend who has a southern rifle with a 44" b wieght .45 and it is a nice slim rifle, very sleek.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »
Obviously, the B wt. will be slimmer than the C. I shoot a C wt .54 x 42" "early" Beck rifle and found it light in the muzzle at first, after shooting a straight barrel for years. I have built up the C wt. 54 x 44" and found it really was just right, weight and balance wise, but I like the shorter barrel for hunting. Both rifles were early wide butt styles, so "slim" wasn't the concern. But they are very graceful to hold and shoot 8)
Tom C.

northmn

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:34:57 AM »
A good way to compare barrels is to go to the Track of the Wolf site and look at barrel specs as tehy list the barrel weights in their configurations. 

DP