Author Topic: Screw Tip Horns  (Read 7656 times)

Mike Norin

Screw Tip Horns
« on: January 20, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
I dont know if this post is in the right place or not , so if it has to be moved to another location that's OK . I was wondering how and what  most of you folks use to put the threads on a screw tip horn ?? I looked in the tutorials and did'nt see any thing . Any information would be a big help . Thanks , Mike Norin

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Screw Tip Horns
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 06:36:40 PM »
 Check out The Book Of Buckskinning II for starters. Take a look at this post and part two. Larry did an excellent job of documenting the process. You can find it by doing a search on Screw Tip Horns and checking Accouterments only. If this doesn't help or you have specific questions just post them, I'm sure you will get answers.

Tim C.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7260.0
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:38:14 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »
I would like to know where is a good place to get solid horn turning stock for the collars and tips?

Do you all use Knife makers Billets? If so from what outfitters?
THanks,
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 10:19:13 PM »
I just uploaded an article on the last screw tip horn class that Art DeCamp did at Conner Prairie.  It will give you the basic idea of the methods. It is not meant to be a tutorial, but isn't too far off.  Since Art is repeating the class next fall, I didn't want to "steal his thunder".

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-articles/post-3.php

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Mike Norin

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 12:27:30 AM »
Thanks Tim & Peltch , this is what I was looking for, it helps a lot.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 01:39:47 AM »
Tim A., I recall seeing someone on the contemporary blog "selling"  cow horn tips for about $3 EACH!!!!.  Seems way too high and most ARE NOT straight. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:20:21 AM »
I've been trying to figure something out. Does the tip come from the same horn or a second horn???

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:37:29 AM »
The tip comes from another horn.  When making a southern banded screwtip or applied tip you have to cut up another whole horn to get a piece for the tip and for the bands.  Usually a horner will have extra horns that just won't make into a good horn so might just as well relegate that horn for making tips and bands. 

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:55:50 AM »
Thanks Randy.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 05:16:17 AM »
I would like to know where is a good place to get solid horn turning stock for the collars and tips?

Me too, Tim.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 05:45:05 AM »

Me too, Tim.

-Ron
Tim/Ron,  Saw horn tips for sale on the CLA web page.  http://www.longrifle.ws/forsale/default.asp?age=Contemporary&orderby=&categoryID=7&curpage=4
I have bought tips from Lee Larkin at Dixon's.
DMR

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 06:33:21 AM »
Just a note about those cut-off horn tips:  at Dixon's last year Art DeCamp said that they tend to dry out and delaminate.  He said they have less tendency to do so if you turn them down to close to finished size if you're not using them right away.

If Art gives his horn seminar at Dixon's this year anyone who has any interest in getting into making screw tip horns would learn a lot from him.
-Joe

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 07:10:47 PM »
Just a note about those cut-off horn tips:  at Dixon's last year Art DeCamp said that they tend to dry out and delaminate.  He said they have less tendency to do so if you turn them down to close to finished size if you're not using them right away.

If Art gives his horn seminar at Dixon's this year anyone who has any interest in getting into making screw tip horns would learn a lot from him.
-Joe

Art is also doing his screw tip horn class at Conner Prairie in October
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »

It sounds like what's the point using horn for a screwtip if it's going to delaminate anyway, whether turned or not.  Why does it 'have less tendency" if its going to lay around or any length of time.  Are we talking 50 years laying around or what?
 Joe/Larry, do you recall if Art had any underlying information as to why the statements?  Thanks guys.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 01:20:01 AM »
It sounds like what's the point using horn for a screwtip if it's going to delaminate anyway, whether turned or not.  Why does it 'have less tendency" if its going to lay around or any length of time.  Are we talking 50 years laying around or what?
 Joe/Larry, do you recall if Art had any underlying information as to why the statements?  Thanks guys.
Gary

Gary,
I remember that comment at Conners P. but don't remember all the reasons.   Seems like they dried out more slowly when turned close to the final contour.  I had one last week that I cut off the horn and had a delamination a couple of days later.  I suspect that if I had turned it close that same day, there would have been no problem.  I hope Art will reply.  Jeff Bibb also heard Art's thoughts on this as well.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 02:45:13 AM »
Larry is right about Art saying they dry out and delaminate when left as cut.  I recall that someone asked another question and Art didn't really go into an explanation of why turning them down prevented them from further damage.
I suspect that the thinner piece of horn would be more likely to react to moisture changes uniformly. The thicker uncut horn piece would likely dry out more quickly on the exterior than at the  center, causing the delamination.  Sort of like a piece of green wood checking at the ends if they are not sealed.  I wonder if the horn would benefit from being sealed in wax until ready to be turned.
-Joe

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 03:21:38 AM »
Joe/Larry, thanks for the responses.  Joe, your analogy to green wood may be some of the answer.  Some of it may be that the horns we're dealing with hasn't thoroughly dried yet, pretty much like letting wood air dry for a couple of years.  Perhaps rubbing the tips down with Lanolin would prevent any delaminations?  Interesting topic nonetheless as we're all trying to learn as much about our hobby/craft.
Thanks guys.
Gary

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 12:56:05 AM »
 I have cut tips from horn and just as they are cut you can see cracks,almost like growth rings in them. I have also bought them that way and been able to turn past the crack in most all cases. I have turned them and run into delaminated, if that's a word, spots but have never had one crack or come apart after turning. Just my experiences.

Tim C.