Author Topic: How do you make a shaper for a flat horn?  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
How do you make a shaper for a flat horn?
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:49:26 AM »
How do you design a shaper for a flat horn so it follows the curve of the flaten horn?

Best regards

Rolfkt

BrownBear

Re: How do you make a shaper for a flat horn?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »
I can't find my copy of Sibley at the moment, but unless my memory is mixing sources (again) he has some pics and a short discussion in there.

I haven't tried it myself and this is all second hand, but was recently talking to a friend who has made a fair number of flat horns.  He had to make a new former for each horn if the shape changed much, and he got sick of doing it.  He said best for him now is just to clamp them in a vise to shape them while they dry and cool.  I'm sure there's some fiddling involved doing it that way, but he sure turns out nice work.

Jefferson58

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »
Take a look at Buckskinning VI from Scurlock Publishing. There is a great chapter about horns and particularly flat horns, including how to make a form and press the horn.

I did some checking and apparently this book is now out of print. I am sure it can be found online through Alibris, Abe Books, or even Ebay.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:47:17 PM »
Lately I've been taking a different approach when I make a flat horn pattern versus the paper exercise (I grew weary of making the paper to conform to the horn).   I boiled up a small horn I was going to flatten and threw it in the bench vise (woodworking) at nite and next morning used the 'flattend' horn as a tracing pattern on a piece of wood.  Then I make some length and width adjustments of the pattern to be sure it will fit inside.  After making my kerf cuts and rounding over all the edges I will then make a couple of hardwood wedges for use. 
Be warned, you may have to boil, clamp, re-boil and clamp again to get the horn to 'obey'.  Most times this will happen the thinner you want the horn to be, e.g., half inch or thinner vs. 3/4 inch.  I'm not talking the thichness of the form, the total width of the base plug plus the horn. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:24:48 PM »
Masking tape is used to make my patterns...first wrap horn sticky side up...
next wrap over that sticky side down...slide the horn out and the tape remains the shape of the horn...you can then flatten, crease and fold the tape image of the horn like you want it and transfer that to the wood form....
TCA
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:26:59 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »
Tim, that's a good idea and I will try next time.  There's always more than one way to skin a cat. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline blackdave

• Starting Member
  • Young at Heart - My wife says "immature"
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »
When I make a flat horn, I use a number of shapers all much narrower than the finished horn, but of the proper length.  I made a press from a stray piece of acme thread I found at a yard sale. Start by softening the horn and sliding in two of the narrow shapers. Then, slide in a wedge and start pressing the horn, removing the wedge and replacing with another shaper or a wider wedge until the horn is of the proper shape.  It takes longer to try to explain it than to actually do it - think splitting a log using wedges and gluts or breaking stone using feathers and wedges.  I boil the horn in vegetable oil and work pretty fast.  It has worked for me on many flat horns.

Your humble servant,

Black Dave
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:48:42 PM by blackdave »
" If a man wants to carry a cat home by the tail, I say let him! He's going to be getting several times as much information as the man who hasn't tried it. And it isn't likely to ever become dim or doubtful, either! It isn't always easy to be eccentric, you know."   Mark Twain