Author Topic: Trade Gun ?  (Read 2922 times)

chuck-ia

Trade Gun ?
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:51:30 AM »
Instead of the tang screw going up from the front of the trigger guard and threaded into the tang, why didn't they go straight up from the front of the trigger guard and into the wrench lug? I hate the way that screw is angled on the guard, seems it would have a tendancy to pull the barrel forward? I have seen a picture of an original that looks like the screw goes straight into the wrench lug, the screw is flat against the guard and looks nice. I would guess some even had a trigger plate where a tang screw would go through the tang and thread into the trigger plate? But most pictures I have seen the screw is angled up from the front of the trigger guard into the tang.  What are you guys thoughts about this? chuck

Offline LynnC

Re: Trade Gun ?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:57:18 AM »
Chuck

On the guard where the screw is not angled its a dummy and the tang screw came from the top in standard fashion.  Some very late trade guns were made this way.

I've come to like the angled upward tang screw as one of the unique features of the English trade gun.  Almost as unique as the serpent.........Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 07:36:45 AM »
maybe for strength, to stabilize at the mid to end of the tang?
Andover, Vermont

northmn

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »
On originals the lug was often angled or curved such that running a screw into it would have been more challenging.  Also the tang to triggerguard screw may offer strength to the wrist ???  You could do what you suggest with a square bottomed lug and use a wood screw for the tang, but I like the feature of beign able to unscrew the tang bolt out of a metal plate for cleaning.  Almost as handy as a hooked breech.

DP

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:05:11 PM »
Most importantly the screw coming up from the bottom is a very handy way to attach a sheet stock trigger guard that has no pin lug. You can get them on there nearly flat if you're carefull with your architecture and what trigger you use.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?