Author Topic: Upper East Tennessee Flintlock Longrifle  (Read 15539 times)

Pvt. Lon Grifle

Re: Upper East Tennessee Flintlock Longrifle
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 10:14:49 PM »
Would it be appropriate for the forum to establish a place for a reference "book" of patchboxes, triggerguards, and other furniture produced by today's masters?   Click on rifles, tangs, patchboxes, pipes, etc. click on category (Tenn.Lancaster, Winchester), etc. much like the archives set up.  What a reference  that would be.  Lon

Birddog6

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 01:51:08 AM »
I guess that is something the board owners & moderators would have to discuss.   :)

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 04:39:03 AM »
Well, I sat around all day like a kid waiting for Santa to come down the chimney, only Santa was driving a big Brown truck.Get a call at 3:00, and have to run an errand, but I'm not worried, as Mr. Brown is like clockwork, and doesn't come by until 4:45.  Get back, and low and behold, just a slip say they'll try again.  Dang!  So off I go to town, find the truck, and get the most beautiful rifle I've seen in a while.  The fit and finish is second to none, and it's like looking thru a piece of plate glass.  Now for some good weather to take her out.  The balance is superb, the features, are as Keith, and I talked about, perfectly executed.  If you want a Southern Mountain, Keith and Guy are the easiest, and best fellows to deal with.  This sweet beauty, is on the Rack between, Miss Maggie, by Steve Bookout, and Ken's build that I call Miss Penny, and above My Hershel Southern poorboy.  Quite a collection start of contemporary builds.  Who next, maybe a Pratt, but I'm running out of calibers.  Now I need to give this beauty a name.  I'm the luckiest guy in Northern Michigan right now.

Giddy Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

exTNer

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 04:59:06 AM »
So, is it too late for a 50 something hack with 5 thumbs on each hand to apply for apprenticeship with either Keith or Ken?  I guess I could always push a broom.

Birddog6

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 08:47:18 AM »
 ???  That depends.....  :-\  I guess if you thumb your nose at me it is 5 times as bad ?   ;D   :-\

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2010, 05:22:11 PM »
exTNer,
I'll help you all I can via email but I'm officially apprenticing under Master Steve Bookout.  Until Bookie thinks me worthy of his blessings and passing to Master; I recon it would be considered bad form for an apprentice to have an apprentice.   ;) :D :D
Cheers,
Still learning Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 10:08:31 PM »
Bad form?.....shoot, Ken, look at me.  I'm all bad form.  :o  Bill is certainly assembling a nice collection of rifles and I'd like to see them one day.  Reckon one of Ian's rifles would be just the ticket for him.  [Hope he leaves me in his will, too.]  Birddog, let's see what you can do with a hunk of walnut by turning it into a Soddy-Daisy.  You can do it.  Gotta go and breech a third barrel this week end. Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

exTNer

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 06:46:52 AM »
Ken, like I said, I can always push a broom.  Then I'll be a broom-pusher for an apprentice, which is better than an apprentice for a broom-pusher.  I think?

Birddog6

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »
  Birddog, let's see what you can do with a hunk of walnut by turning it into a Soddy-Daisy.  You can do it.  bookie

Bookie, it took me 10 years to get to the Soddy Daisy's !!   :o  I'm on a roll & can't seem to quit now !!   :D