Author Topic: Hunting Bag Photos  (Read 8242 times)

MPratt

Hunting Bag Photos
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:58:22 PM »
Here are some photos of some of my recent work.  They are styled after bags found in Madison Grant's and Jim Webb's books.

The bag with the lining is similar to the bag that will be made in the Log Cabin bag making class in April.  It is made of calf hide, lined and has a gusset.

The black bag is bark tanned deer hide by Charlie Brown.  Flap is pieced together stitched with linen thread.  Piecing it gives a primitive look. This bag also has a hand forged buckle.

The rifleman's bag is made of calf's leather and has a hanging inside pocket and hand forged buckle.

The knife and fork set was made by Ian.  The handles are made of unique deer antlers with pewter collars and small silver butt caps.  I made the bag out of an interesting remnant of leather with an antler crown button.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:59:52 PM by MPratt »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Hunting Bag Photos
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:05:19 PM »
 Wonderful work.

Tim C.

PS: I thought I packed that knife and fork in my stuff at Canter's Cave the other day, now I see why I   
       can't find it :)

Dancy

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:14:17 PM »
Really great items, thanks for posting!

James

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 10:18:29 PM »
I really like the deer hide pouch. I'm like Ian the primitive stuff looks cool.

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 12:39:30 AM »
I really like that deer tan bag, and how did go about for getting the inside of the first bag dirty. Very nice work
Denis

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 06:14:12 AM »
Beautiful work Maryellen! I saw some of your earlier work on the blogspot and I've been waiting to see more. They look just.....well.....right!

John.

I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

eagle24

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 06:43:48 AM »
Very nice Maryellen.  You're work is outstanding.

MPratt

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »
Thanks, Everyone for the compliments!
That helps to let me know I am doing some of it right.

Frenchman - We brewed up some homemade walnut dye.  So a little of that and a little bear grease helped to make the lining the color that it is. ( and you can see that some of the leather dye found its way on to the fabric as well.)

Maryellen

chuck c.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:16:01 AM »
Your bags are good enough to be the perfect companion for one of Ian's rifles! Like your husband you have the "eye" for getting it right.

Jefferson58

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 04:07:22 PM »
Very nice work Maryellen. They all have a great look to them. The "pieced" flap looks really good on the deer hide pouch.

Great job!

Jeff

dannybb55

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
Sweet work, if you want to trade for some forged buckles or something let me know.
Maybe a pouch of accoutrements or some such.

David G

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 03:25:26 AM »
I especially like that gnarly bag,would make a good companion for one of them there iron mounted guns. Hmmm, you ever considered selling a pouch outfit(pouch,knife,measure,etc..)with one of them guns,sorta a combo deal? Nice Maryellen!

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 02:47:12 AM »
Maryellen.....You and Ian are just like "Peaches and Cream", you compliment each other in everything you do. All of your pouches are beautiful but I really like the black deer skin one. They just have that look about them, you know, that used look. Fantastic work, they are all very nice. Thanks for sharing them with us..........Frank

george kevil

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 02:54:14 AM »
Maryellen,
I think their all great bags . They all have a great look to them.  Hard to choose the best. Maybe the first or the deer....I don't know it's hard to choose when you put so many up there.
George

MPratt

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »
Thank you again, for the additional compliments.
It's fun making the bags, and I really enjoy it!
Maryellen

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 04:24:18 AM »
Maryellen, great looking bags.  Can't really add to what has already been offered.  Ian, great looking utensils and would be great to have a set in the future.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."