Author Topic: Quality Screw Drivers  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
Quality Screw Drivers
« on: March 08, 2018, 10:55:06 PM »
I'm looking at the Brownell's Magna tip screw drivers. You guys have any experience with these? Any kits in particular you like? Perhaps other brands of screw drivers? I have a small Wheeler kit that I don not like at all. The inserts are loose and fall out of the handle.

Thanks
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Long Ears

Re: Quality Screw Drivers
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 11:04:11 PM »
Call Wheeler, they will replace your handle free of charge. Great people. Bob

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 11:41:30 PM »
I have a set of the Bonanza Screw Drivers from Brownells that I have been using for 35 years. I ground the tips to match the screw slot sizes that use in the building process. There are six in the set and I find that these are all I deed for gun work.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 02:02:05 AM »
If Wheeler does not, another screwdriver handle for changeable bits will work.  The Wheeler bit shank is the same hex shape and size as all my other screwdriver bits. 

Turtle

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 03:18:39 AM »
 I have and use the Brownells screwdriver set. I like them, particularly because the large selection of widths and thickness enable one to get a perfect fit.

Offline FDR

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 04:20:14 AM »
X2 on the Brownells set. Quality set with lots of available bits.

Fred

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 04:27:31 AM »
I have Brownell's 44 piece set and love it.  Though I have never used the short handle, always the long one.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Timothy88

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 04:30:59 AM »
I have a set of Chapman Mfg screwdriver bits that I like.

Offline snapper

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 05:16:38 AM »
I have the 44 piece set and almost always use the short driver.

I do like it.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 05:18:24 AM »
I have Brownell's Magna Tip set.   I use it for the first disassembly, then I file a V notch in all my screws.   I have two traditional flat screwdrivers that I use for assembly/disassembly after that.   

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 07:10:01 AM »
I also have the Brownells magna tip set. Very handy across many era's of firearms.
Psalms 144

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 04:55:07 PM »
I'm looking at the Brownell's Magna tip screw drivers. You guys have any experience with these? Any kits in particular you like? Perhaps other brands of screw drivers? I have a small Wheeler kit that I don not like at all. The inserts are loose and fall out of the handle.

Thanks

Melsdad,

I have a large Wheeler kit I've used for some time.  The screw driver handle should have a small magnet in the bottom of the socket which holds the tips in place quite well.  If your magnet is missing, contact Wheeler for one and things will work as they should.

Mole Eyes 
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline t.caster

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »
I have used a set from Chapman Mfg. for at least 28 years! Probably a lot less $$ than Brownells, and they have survived this long!
Tom C.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 02:23:21 PM »
I have and use the Grace set from Brownell's.  Excellent screw drivers.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 06:19:27 AM »
get the red Forster/Bonanza (I don't think they use the Bonanza name now) screwdriver set.  Really good quality and you can reshape the tips, if necessary, as the whole shank is full diameter.  I've used mine for at least 20 years.

I would never be able to use any of the removable tip ones.  They would all get lost in short order.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 08:19:40 AM »
I have been using a set of Bonanza screwdrivers for 25+ years with no complaints.  I shied away from the magna tip screwdrivers because I was worried that I would lose all the tips like Stophel stated.  A few months ago a friend of mine gave me a Wheeler 72pc Professional Gunsmithing Screwdriver Kit and I love it!  It takes just a second but I always have the exact size tip that I need and it only takes a second to put everything back into the kit.  With self discipline I have not lost any tips in 3 months of use.
David

Offline AMartin

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 12:11:12 PM »
Been using the Magna Tip super set for over 20 years ...wow !!
I lost one or 2 tips .. and broke a few, thin bladed ones on stubborn rusty screws .

What I like most is that my workbench isn't cluttered with a bunch of screwdriver handles .. I use 2 long ones but rarely mr stubby ..

Allen

Offline wmrike

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
I have been using the Brownell's drivers for perhaps 30 years or more, and consider them go-to tools.  I know they're guaranteed, but I've not broken one yet.

I had a set of Grace screwdrivers once.  I would get something from a big box store before I would go back to the Grace.

Offline flehto

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 08:46:43 PM »
Through the yrs have had the pleasure of looking at various screwdrivers when visiting hardware stores and depts. and have bought many "cheap" screwdrivrs , but only w/ wooden handles. I then regrind the tip on one  to fit whatever the slots are for whatever screws I'm using . I've amassed over 60 screwdrivers and although most are cheaply priced, I haven't had one w/ soft or too hard steel....amazing. ......Fred

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 05:27:29 AM »
While I do like my Forster screwdrivers, and use them a lot, and definitely recommend them, probably my most used screwdriver is a no-name, yellow and red plastic handled, fairly short screwdriver that is probably about as old as I am.  It's easy to find good quality old screwdrivers and grind them to the size and shape you want, just like Fred said.  ;)

That said, I am now on the lookout for the flat bladed "cabinet screwdrivers", which, though most all of them to be found today are late 19th-early 20th century, APPARENTLY are fairly similar to 18th century "turn screws" (?).  I just ordered a couple off ebay, wanting one small enough to carry in my shot bag.  Larger/longer ones are easier to find, it seems, but I don't want to make a sheath for one on the back of my bag.  :D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."