Author Topic: Pin Locator  (Read 3888 times)

Woodstock

Pin Locator
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
Who is responsible for inventing this tool? I ran across it a few weeks back somewhere on the net and cannot find it again to give the proper credit to the inventor.
It is spot on for locating the exact placement for drilling in the blind so to speak. I used 3/8” sq. bar stock, ¼” (a bit to large but that’s all I could find) 8x32 wing screw and 8/x32 ready rod with an 8x32 nut to secure it. I had a hard time holding the stock and running the drill press at the same time so I drilled the holes by hand. It worked fantastic and a simple build. 
I am still on dial up out here in the boonies. It took forever just to get the pics on the site. >:( I downsized them but still took to long. If the link does not work let me know.

http://s773.photobucket.com/albums/yy14/flinter54/?action=view&current=pinlocator009.jpg

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Pin Locator
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:23:50 PM »
Woodstock,
I could easily be wrong with the origin but I saw it first from a photo posted on the old board.  I think it was posted by Fred Lehto or Jerry Crawford?  
Ken

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:33:00 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

ronward

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:51:06 PM »
 heck of a good idea!
    i'm slowly gearing up for my first ML build and will definatly make one of them! my thanks to whoever shared it with us.

exTNer

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 08:25:37 PM »
long ago and far away, Brownells used to carry something very similar.  It also had a long rod added that laid on top flat of barrel to get the distance from muzzle too.  Had a flat plate or block on the muzzle end, with a short brass locator pin that went into the muzzle.  Last I saw was in Ralph Walker book "Black Powder Gunsmithing", about 1979?  Shudda bought one then.  Now I gotta make one too.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:28:17 AM »
I'm not sure where I first saw it but I made one and its a real timesaver. I've used so long that it could have come from the old ALR site.

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »
Good idea but twasn't me....I use a depth mike in good toolmaker fashion. Perhaps this pin hole locator originally was "invented waaay back when"  in Europe? Are there any similar "tools" found in any of the old European gun making books? Seems plausible that some old French or German gunsmith would have thought of this tool?.....Fred

Online SR James

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 01:47:04 AM »
It's very similar to a DemBart checkering layout tool:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=351829