Author Topic: 1960-70s vintage lock?  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
1960-70s vintage lock?
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »
       I am looking for information on a Chet Shoults lock.  Has anyone ever heard of this lock?
Anyone familiar with what size lock it might be?   I know there must be some grey beards out there that know something.  I have not seen the original, but had a request for a hardened frizzen.  I am sure that something can be modified to work if in fact the original needs to be replaced.   Any and all information will be appreciated. 
Thanks  Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

California Kid

Re: 1960-70s vintage lock?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 08:04:27 PM »
I remember seeing those at Friendship, and in MB years ago. As I recall it was an late English style lock like a ketland , but smaller. Long time ago.

Online Dave B

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:42:05 PM »
Lucky,
I know it a bit of work but if the old frizzen is still intact it may be worth trying to reharden the face by the use of Kasinite. If this didn't yeld good results refacing the frizzen with a chunk of high carbon steel will do wonders. I only say this in lieu of trying to make some thing from scratch or running the gauntlet of trying multiple frizzens and still not finding the one that is close enough to easily modify. I think Jerry Huddleston had posted on the old archives a discription of how he used copper to braze the new steel to the face of the old frizzen. As I under stand it the copper melting point allows you to harden the steel with out breaking loose the brazed joint.  I have never done it but it sounds like a much quicker soultion to the problem of getting better sparks from a worn out frizzen.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:35:15 AM »
Dave brings up a good point.  Copper brazing is easy--if you have a forge or at least Mapp gas as a minimum.  If I'm in the basement, I prefer to use the little Oxy-mapp torche set up.  They're around $30 at the hardware store.  A piece of spring stock can be used for the "shoe" and takes shape easily.  You could be back in business in a couple of hours.  Cheers, Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Longknife

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 05:56:08 PM »
I have half soled many a frizzen with a piece of old file ground down, hardened, quenched in water and soldered in place....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 06:54:18 PM »
     Thanks for the input guys.   I gave the gentleman that owns the lock his options.  As they say the ball is in his court.  I have re-faced a couple of frizzens one by soldering and one by riveting.  In this guys case I don't even know if he has an intact frizzen.   Life is full of challenges, that is what makes it interesting. 

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard