Author Topic: GUNBUILDING BOOK  (Read 2819 times)

LURCHWV@BJS

GUNBUILDING BOOK
« on: January 24, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »
  Once again I am looking for the most recommended on this forum.   Who has the best illisrtated book on shaping a stock from a blank.   I figure it may take me some time to get it done but, You just never know what you can do if you never try. 

Thanx Rich

(Headed to Johnstown Pa monday)

Online Dave B

Re: GUNBUILDING BOOK
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:29:36 PM »
I think that good shaping can not be learned from a book. I have several of the how to books and didnt really get my shaping right till I held several originals in my hands. You just can't learn proper shaping from a book. You can get the general idea but rarely the correct essence of the school you are trying to recreate.

If I was to say who can get you close I would say Recreating the Kentucky rifle from Shumway  then Gunsmith of Grenville Co. by Alexander. The Shumway book has a full scale plan that shows crossectional views of the rifle and pistol so theoretically you now know how it is suppose to be shaped. Invariably there will be some one not  to far from you that will have an original or a good reproduction that will let you handle them. The American Pionere video building a Kentucky Rifle with Hershel House shows how to shape down a rifle but again its always easy to watch some one who knows what hes doing and then try to carry that over to you doing the same.
It is money well spent to take one of the classes offered around the country that walk you through building a rifle.
I know it is a layout in bucks but if you were to talk to any body who's been to one will you find they would do it again in a heart beat.  Your best bet is to get some wood and make some quaker rifles. Rolfkt made about  3 pistol stocks before he settled for his final run. Maybe alittle over board but he perfected his shaping till he was pleased with what he had. I say get a book, get some wood for practice and let the chips fly.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »
Everyone learns differently, and i agree with Dave.  I would consider the American Pioneer Videos, and you get a better sense of how the wood is removed.  Just a thought.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Online Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:35:30 PM »
I'd recommend pioneer video 4 dvds on rifles made by contempory makers. Great filming. They rotate the gun while filming it and this gives a good impression on how the stock is shaped. I got the House video on building a Kentucky rifle. It was a bit disapointing. Hershel brises to quickly through the stock shaping process to much help.

Best regards

Rolfkt

Online Dave B

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:34:05 PM »
Here is the technical video rental out fit I was told about that has some great videos available.
http://smartflix.com/store/video/217/Building-a-Kentucky-Rifle They also have Engraving as well as Mark Silver on traditional gun making. Give them a look.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 01:05:35 AM »
I agree with Dave B, you can not learn good stock architecture from a book. The books will give you a lot of layout tips and the steps to get you to fit all the parts together but to make a stock fit you or someone else is hard to relay in text form. The best thing is to find a rifle that fits you well and use it as a patern. There are a few paterns available that are full scale but they will not fit your meausrements. Then there is the feel and understanding that you receive when you handle originals, this can not be put in book form.

I have been building since the early 70's and the only thing I have really learned is that I have a whole lot more to learn. I have enjoyed building and I built my 3rd rifle from scratch. That first rifle from a blank did not have enough drop and I left way to much wood in the butt stock. You could not get down on the sights, the rifle looked OK and functioned well but you had to fight to see the sights.

I used Recreating the American Longrifle as my guide. I shold have spent more time on what is important to fit the stock to me and not just making a rifle that looked like a picture I had seen in a book.

I learned a lot building that rifle and I have built several since then but I always spend the needed time on the stock layout before starting a project. If you don't you will spend a lot of time building a rifle you are not happy with.

Good luck
Jim Parker
Calvary Longrifles
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"