Author Topic: Wood Patch Boxes  (Read 12154 times)

jwh1947

Re: Wood Patch Boxes
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 09:20:23 PM »
Behold small miracles, a thread gravitating toward reason rather than "tangents."

northmn

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »
While I have not had the time to plug through most of the math behind the GM, mostly I have seen ists use in comparisons of width vs length and not in linear use.  Many claims of its use in art have been overthroen by studies that show ratios more on the level of 1-1.5 or so.  Use of the GM in rifle building to me would be kind of like going to a beauty pagent and measuring the women from the navel to the top of their heads and then from the navel to their toes and eliminating any that did not meet the GM (One individual claimed that humans ON AVERAGE show the GM in that measurement).  Really if you look at averages out of 1000 there would 666 people that would fall within one standard deviation of that measurement, whatever that sd would be.  Also I am sure you can pick out the GM proportion if you look at about any measurement.  In this case the individual focused on the navel to find it.  Is the navel some sort of important center of view?  Mostly it is used to more or less determine plane geometry sizes for things like windows, book pages and art canvas, and often not really that. Again, width to length.  It has become popular as a concept due to TV shows like Numbers and Dan Brown's the DaVinci Code.  Lets just build them like they were built.

DP

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »
Ok, sorry I mentioned it  ;D ;D  But I had made a 5" patchbox lid for a rifle and never did like the way it looked so I made a new one with my GM divider and it looks much more pleasing!  :o  ;)  To me!!!

5 3/4" patchbox, Comb = 9 1/2"

I find the GM is useful if you aren't sure... it gives you a place to start and then you can deviate to what you find pleasing..... School, taste, goals etc are most important
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:00:19 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

northmn

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 08:28:15 PM »
I admit to a bit of over reacting, but again, where would I measure from.  Most measurements, like yours are close, which is common to what many think of as the GM. While your length would work and be pleasing, I am pointing out that the GM was originally developed as a width to length ratio.  For instance to achieve the GM my patchbox width would have to be about 3 inches for the 5 inch buttplate.  The GM does work for some applications of proportions, but mathematical scrutiny has shown that other proportions were used that are similar, such as 1-1.5 or 1-1.75 etc.  Many of the "mystical" attributes are at best averages and likely close.  The true GM is a plane Geometric function that fascinates those interested in it.  If you take a GM rectangle and draw a line through it to achieve a square, the remaining rectangle will have GM proportions.  You can also split triangles in that manner.  Interesting, I guess, but so what?  I remember when they wer pushing the "magic" of pyrimids.  Form the claims they were making, you almost felt if you built a nursery in pyramid shape and placed a baby crib at the center focal point he would grow up a genius.  Most of the claims like increased plant growth were debunked.  A lot of the claims about the GM in nature are averages that are sort of a GM, but with a fair amout of variance.  By the way the true GM for a 5 3/4 inch lid would be a comb to butt length of 9.3 inches not 9.5 inches.  Again the look may be pleasing but it is not the true proportion. ;D

DP
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:32:30 PM by northmn »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 08:49:45 PM »
My eyes aren't that good!!   ::)   ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

jwh1947

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »
Alas, I must sign off for a while (don't all clap at once) as I have found a much more important issue to sort out, one that will likely assist in the completion of Einstein's Unified Field Theory!  It simply answers everything.

The revelation came to me as a burst of thunder as I meditated in the privy, much the same way Martin Luther tells us he came unto the notion of "justification by faith."   

Gentlemen: Bear your golden mean sticks and behold the double spiral helix of DNA.  Watson and Krick missed the whole point.  If they just had a set of these here sticks, they would have understood what they were looking at.  Copyright pending. 

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 01:29:32 AM »
Well, it is about time you saw the Truth!!   :o  ;) ;)
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA